Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   EPing to EBF- major engorgment :-( (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464351)

crunchymom2b 11-16-2012 07:12 PM

EPing to EBF- major engorgment :-(

Since DS2 was 2 days old I have been EPing for him due to latch issues. I have a major oversupply, which was great for pumping. I was pumping 50-60oz per day, almost 3x what he was eating! I would stillt ry to nurse and it finally paid off! He has been EBF the past few days and I'm thrilled. But now I'm starting to hate my oversupply. I'm having major engorgment issues and he's gagging and choking. The LC I saw told me to continue pumping 3-4 timesper day but I don't think I can do that and haven't been. He's soaking his diapers, pooping more, and sleeping awesome. I pump for comfort but have a feeling that's gnna come back to bite me.

How can I reduce my supply and make baby and me more comfortable???

ETA: he'll be 11weeks on Monday

Yarnjess 11-16-2012 07:24 PM

Re: EPing to EBF- major engorgment :-(

I've heard block feeding is helpful with oversupply issues. I'm pretty sure kellymom has info on it. Congratulations on getting the baby on the breast! And good luck. I hope you find a solution.

Sarahknavy 11-16-2012 07:25 PM

Block feeding is helpful for decreasing supply. Feed on one side for a few hours then switch to the other side for a few hours. If you get too engorged on the inactive side pump only til you are comfortable.

Rdesonia 11-16-2012 07:45 PM

Cabbage leaves are suppose to be a natural way to decrease supply. You just put them in your bra. (**I have no clue if it works... old wives tale)

Cleokatrah 11-16-2012 08:35 PM

I had oversupply. Block feeding didn't really help for us but I evened out at about 6-8 weeks. I had a few near mastitis scares (fever, heat, soreness) and she would not eat my milk when it got that way so I had to pump frequently anyway, to make sure it stayed "fresh"

abunchoflemons 11-16-2012 08:54 PM

I had this and sil said that pump pulls too hard and so makes you keep having over. She told me to hand express til you get comfort /hot shower til you stop leaking/compresses. Feed him on one side for one feeding only and then switch for the next feeding only.... so on....eventually you won't have over.... LLL advice and stuff that worked for me. Keep some expressed for teething and if you have to be away but then I would donate to helping hands and the milk bank. I had a 14 cubic foot deep freeze of milk and so I donated tons. if you donate 300 you get a gift back. It is because of me on that. Hope this helps you. I was told to pump all the time and other stuff similar so I know how you feel.

Cleokatrah 11-16-2012 09:40 PM

Wish I knew that about the hand exprressing!

abunchoflemons 11-16-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleokatrah (Post 15942411)
Wish I knew that about the hand exprressing!

LLL gals here and others said that- that come to help newbies and share wisdom.

Connor 11-16-2012 10:05 PM

Either hand express or pump just enough to relieve the engorgement a little bit. Do not pump until empty, that will signal your body to make more. Just enough to let the pressure off.

And Woo hoo for ebf and ditching the pump! Your supply will slowly regulate over the next several weeks. :)

crunchymom2b 11-17-2012 07:03 AM

Thanks mamas! I've only been manual pumping or hand expressing. I've been offering the same side 1-2 times in a row just because of how full I am. I find if I hand express into a towel before latching him and he seemed to do a lot better.

Is there anything else I can do to help him be less fussy? He spits up a ton after most feeding but is happy once he gets it out.