Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Would the minipill or Weight Watchers affect my supply? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464363)

alaskamum 11-16-2012 08:26 PM

Would the minipill or Weight Watchers affect my supply?

DD is 8 weeks. She is a champion nurser. My supply has been great.

I started the minipill almost 2 weeks ago.
I started Weight Watcher 4 days ago. I still seem to be eating plenty, just cutting out any excess junk.

She slept about 7 hours last night for the first time, and I was not engorged in the least, which is very unusual for this age, I expected to be hurting and leaking after about 3-4 hours. This concerns me.

She has also been fussier than usual (she is super mellow, it doesn't seem like a growth spurt) and her sucking doesn't sound like normal.

Both the minipill and WW are supposed to be okay during breastfeeding, but I'm wondering if one of them is the problem. Any thoughts?

FTR I have no problem ditching the minipill, but I'd like to keep up the WW.

jaelynsmommy61607 11-16-2012 08:29 PM

I'd say its the pill. Ive been doing ww for a few months and it's been going good. Just make sure to eat all your points and drink.plenty of water.

Van1300 11-17-2012 08:49 AM

Re: Would the minipill or Weight Watchers affect my supply?

When I was on the mini pill last time post partum, I feel it really affected my supply. I am only 1 week post now, but I have already decided I am not going to take it (DH will get a V at 6 months post). I also did not lose weight, even though I was on WW and this time I want to be more successful with the weight loss!

umphreysmommy 11-17-2012 07:22 PM

I would guess it is the pill. Weight watchers isn't too crazy of a diet, just eat all your points!

jessnic 11-18-2012 05:18 AM

If you eat all your points WW should be okay. Maybe stop the mini pill and give yourself more time before adding hormonal bc? I couldn't handle it at 8 weeks but by 3 1/2 months it was fine for me

newcdmommy29 11-18-2012 07:57 AM

I had to eat all my points on ww and all my extra points plus another 12 to keep my supply up and I still was losing about 2 lbs a week. Talk with your leader about it. She may have some ideas for you.

mommaagain 11-18-2012 09:47 AM

I'd ditch the pill. It's great for a lot of mom's, but can affect supply with some. I didn't start the minipill until I got AF back. BUT do keep in mind that pregnancy can occur before that point. And maybe add a few extra points until you're sure your supply is OK. Just make it gradual when you cut back again. Good luck!

keen1981 11-18-2012 10:05 AM

I think it's just a phase.babies go thru phases. I would continue pill and WW.

Nerissa 11-18-2012 12:10 PM

J have taken the mini pill from 6 weeks on with both boys and no drop in supply. I started with DD a couple weeks ago and am still able to pump an extra 8 to 10 oz a day (only 2 pumping sessions on one side only) so no dip in suppky.

I would make sure yoj are eating and drinking enough.