Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Hooked on phonics help (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464419)

Suzi 11-17-2012 06:51 AM

Hooked on phonics help

My library has the hooked on phonics set. Each set has a quick start guide but not a guide specific for that volume. I've using set 2 right now. I've been having my son read the books, practice the cards and we go through the workbook.

Is there any strategies I'm missing? Would love to hear how others use hop

fawnlovesjasper 11-17-2012 09:49 AM

Re: Hooked on phonics help

We have the newer version with the DVDs and an older version with the CDs (we actually have an even older version that has basically the same thing as the CDs on cassette tapes..as well.. I have bits and pieced it together)

What we do is we watch the DVD section that covers that sound so like level 2 lesson 1 is ummm CH?? I'm going by memory. I also think some TH is there, but we moved that to be with the other TH lesson (I markered it into the lesson book where I want it). So anyway, we watch the DVD which sounds just like the CD but the kids can SEE the words too. This has been a BIG help to my struggling reader!!!! He hated the CD, really really hated it, and until the DVD came into our life he really hated all things HOP. Anyway, after we watch the video we go into the "lesson book" and read the word list. Sometimes we can do 2 or 3 pages in the book, if it has a short story we will do it. If it is a book that it says to do, then I save the book for the next day. We stay on a lesson up to a week before we start a new one. We go through the sight word cards, but really don't use the sound cards. As the lessons get harder we very well may use the sound cards, but for now we don't.

I don't know how well I could handle borrowing from the library. I could only have it for 6 weeks here at most, less if someone else wants it. You can find it cheaply used on Ebay.

ETA, I use the new DVDs with the old books. I like those books much better, but the new DVD set comes with workbooks that are ok too, and we do use those from time to time as "busy work" to free me up and reinforce.

Suzi 11-17-2012 06:16 PM

Re: Hooked on phonics help

Thanks for that! My son is in 2nd grade at ps but he needs extra tutoring at home. I wanted to work through phonics to get a better idea of any issues he has. His teacher could tell me he is a little behind but not any specific learning issues. I can check HOP out for 6-9 weeks at a time. Then I can check it out again the day after I take it back. He has most of set 2 down so I didn't want to buy it. I think I may buy set 3. These are the older sets and it would be nice to have the dvds.

What I have been doing is reviewing the lesson and if he has 100% accurracy with the sound then we read a little and skip right to the next lesson the following night. So far I have only had him work on one sound for 2 nights.

Thanks again!