Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   When do you start planning for the next "year" (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464452)

HeatherlovesCDs 11-17-2012 10:33 AM

When do you start planning for the next "year"

By year, I really mean the next curriculum level. We don't all start/stop and transition at the same time, but it is generally once a year.

We are a little over a third of the way through our 1st grade curriculum and I'm really pondering what we are going to do for 2nd. I'm planning and even thinking about starting to buy some stuff if I find good deal.

So, just curious, how early do you start to seriously plan and buy for the next level? I can't be the only one doing this. ;)

fawnlovesjasper 11-17-2012 10:52 AM

Re: When do you start planning for the next "year"

I have a general idea of what we will do and what I want to use for the next ummmm 15 years... that is when my 3 year old graduates.

Does that help you any?? :giggle2:

RainandRedemption 11-17-2012 11:05 AM

We are going to HS year round and just go to the next grade level whenever we're done. DS is halfway done with his K books and I am starting to think just this week about what to do for Gr 1. Part of that is probably because the K stuff is starting to feel like busy work...

UmmKira 11-17-2012 11:06 AM

I have the next 5 years planned out in a rough draft because that covers the high school years. You really shouldn't just go year to year in high school since the credits actually matter. I have grammar until she's done with me at home (it came in a 5 year set), and I just purchased next year's Literature pack because it's on a Cyber Monday sale. If you -know- you're going to use something specific and you find a good deal, or have a little extra cash, go for it! I don't recommend buying something though just because you pass by it online or at a store and think "that would be fun to do"... at least in my case, I never fit it in because it's just too random.

HeatherlovesCDs 11-17-2012 11:33 AM

Okay, okay, I obviously should have left in my blurb about knowing that many of us have long term plans. I know many, if not most of us do. I do too. But, each year I still have to buy for the next year and when I do, I have to figure out exactly what I need and where I want to get it (new or used or whatever).

I took the blub out because I was trying to shorten my OP. But, I know many people have a long term plan.

I guess I meant, if you have a plan, when do you start to think about buying and if you don't have plan, when do you plan? Am I nuts for starting to look for things and plan now? Even though I have a general plan (sticking with MFW), I research the specific grade level I'm looking for each year. So far anyway....we are only in 1st. :giggle:

Oh and we HS year round too. That's why I said, not necessarily a year, but the next level. :) We will probably be changing late spring or early summer this year. Last year we started 1st in Mid-July.

foggierbard9 11-17-2012 11:50 AM

We are about 1/3 of the way through K and I am starting to look at 1st grade stuff now. I know that we won't be buying until Spring(because MFW1 will be the new edition then), but I want to have a good estimate on cost for everything as soon as I can, and then I can look for used and such for what we are going to use.

HeatherlovesCDs 11-17-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foggierbard9 (Post 15943578)
We are about 1/3 of the way through K and I am starting to look at 1st grade stuff now. I know that we won't be buying until Spring(because MFW1 will be the new edition then), but I want to have a good estimate on cost for everything as soon as I can, and then I can look for used and such for what we are going to use.

I'm totally bummed. We did K last year and the new edition came out in the spring as we were finishing up. We are doing 1st this year and the new edition is coming out as we are going to be finishing up. I know the K changes were good, but I wasn't as bummed as I am about the 1st. The changes to 1st look REALLY good. I really wish they had done all this one year earlier for us. Why didn't they call me and ask when we would be doing K and 1st? :giggle2:

Oh well, I'll be upgrading my manuals to use with my younger kids. :)

foggierbard9 11-17-2012 12:48 PM

Where did you find the information on what the changes are for 1st?

HeatherlovesCDs 11-17-2012 01:12 PM

hmm...let me find you a link....At the top of this page. Click on "learn more" http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/M50/30/0/0/1

thirdtimemomma 11-17-2012 01:20 PM

I outline the next year at the beginning of the current year. I adjust as needed through out the year.