Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   s/o: You got me excited to skip the birthday party (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464474)

Palooka 11-17-2012 11:19 AM

s/o: You got me excited to skip the birthday party

But the family seems to want one. Should I just suck it up and have the crummy party?

stevensmom 11-17-2012 11:22 AM

Re: s/o: You got me excited to skip the birthday party

we always do at least the 1st bday party.

Can you do it at a family members place? Tell them that you can't have a party for him at your house because of the neighbors and the stairs. See if anyone will step up. If they truely want you to have a bday party for your son they will step up :giggle2:

babynme8 11-17-2012 11:29 AM

I don't have big Birthday parties for my 3 but I have always had a big 1st birthday party. After that we usually just have grandparents over for cake. I agree with the pp maybe you could ask a friend or family member if you could have a small get together at there place.

Palooka 11-17-2012 11:30 AM

HeatherlovesCDs 11-17-2012 11:39 AM

I didn't read the other thread.

We don't do big parties for b-days. But, I do have a party for the first b-day, not too big still. After that, we just have family.

jam's mum 11-17-2012 11:52 AM

We didn't have a party for Jams because we didn't know anyone else with babies and our families live far away. We had a roommate at the time, but even she wasn't there. It was just DH, Jammy and I eating cake in the park and it was beautiful and perfect and I will treasure that memory.

R055ANA 11-17-2012 12:28 PM

Hi there!

Don't do big parties here either. I am in complete agreement w/ what you are doing because it is what you think works best for your family.

I don't see why do a party for a 1yr old because a 1yr old is too young to understand or usually appreciate it.

Don't do it @ a relatives house because it will end up a frustrating event for you.

I see how your DH thinks this is odd because most families do parties but remember you aren't getting rid of it altogether. You are just doing a small thing w/ your immediate family.

I agree w/ getting too many gifts that you want/need and I think you came up w/ a good solution.

Good for you for trying to go against the grain.

Best wishes!

essential1892 11-17-2012 12:40 PM

We always just have the grandparents over for the first birthday- we don't have any friends with babies. When they are in school we do bigger parties with friends.

I look at it as the party is for the child and at one, the child does not care about a big party. They just want to be cuddled, play with wrapping paper and maybe splat some cake on their face. Besides, having too many people around can sometimes freak a one year out.

R055ANA 11-17-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by essential1892 (Post 15943727)
I look at it as the party is for the child and at one, the child does not care about a big party. They just want to be cuddled, play with wrapping paper and maybe splat some cake on their face. Besides, having too many people around can sometimes freak a one year out.

I agree w/ this completely. Not to mention a party, especially a big one, can totally be over-stimulating for 1yr old.

happysmileylady 11-17-2012 12:58 PM

I assume you live in an apartment complex, does the complex have a clubhouse or something similar that you could rent out. Or do you go to a church with room you could use? Does a family member? OR....could you pay off your neighbors downstairs to just deal with it for a few hours? Maybe give them a gift card to go out to eat on you for a few hours during the party. I realize that does cost money, but for sure less than renting some sort of party room somewhere.

You could always go to chuck e cheese lol. You don't have to rent anything, bring your own cake, and tell everyone if they want pizza, they can order it themselves lol. You can do it in the middle of the day on a weekday so that it's not busy at CEC, not crazy...and then the family that's all put out about the idea of not having a party at all has to deal with taking their own time off work if they want to go lol