Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Is 7 too old for a dollhouse? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464485)

taximom 11-17-2012 12:25 PM

Is 7 too old for a dollhouse?

If not, what is recommended? She is my last little girl and I'm on a budget. The "Barbie" ones look so cheap but I don't want to pay $90 for a Kidkraft if she will outgrow it soon. Any recommendations? Maybe there are some ideas that I haven't thought of.

newmommy13 11-17-2012 12:27 PM

I've seen good deals on playmobil sets that are kind if like dollhouses but might last her longer like I think a school and a doctors office I think? I saw them for 50% off locally.

snugglesnsunshine 11-17-2012 12:28 PM

Re: Is 7 too old for a dollhouse?

One of my girls still played with her Barbie dollhouses until 10, another until she was 11. My 2 toddlers have the fisher price one but MIL found a larger one (non-famous brand) at a thrift store that is more for barbies and they like it better. Plus it's got 3 sections so they have more room and don't fight over stuff as much (the 3 and 4 yo).

also shouldn't be hard to sell it later if they take care of it.
hth

qsefthuko 11-17-2012 12:49 PM

My daughter payed with doll houses until between 10-11.

swedishmaiden 11-17-2012 12:52 PM

I wouldn't think so. I bought my 3 year old one and she isn't playing with it at all yet - disappointing. I remember playing those sorts of things still at 10.

my2sweets 11-17-2012 01:22 PM

My girls (almost 8 and 5.5) have been asking for the barbie townhouse for a year so they're getting one for xmas. I got dd1 a loving family doll house when she was almost 3 and they both play with it still. Sadly while its perfect for mlp and strawberry shortcake, its to small for barbie hence the desire for a massive 3 story house with elevator lol

sandrc 11-17-2012 04:17 PM

my 7 year old loves dollhouses.

~Laura~ 11-17-2012 07:13 PM

My DD is 8.5yo and still plays with her dollhouse daily. I remember playing with mine until 10yo+. If you buy a nice wooden one, it would probably resell easily.

ETA: We bought DD a replacement dollhouse last year for Christmas, she was 7.5yo. Her plastic one had broken.

taximom 11-17-2012 07:56 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm going to hope I can find a good deal on one online this weekend :goodvibes:

Leiiki 11-17-2012 08:14 PM

If you are even a tiny bit crafty, you can make a dollhouse from a bookshelf or other old furniture. We're converting an old wardrobe into a two-story dollhouse that fits American Girl dolls as well as Barbies and such. It was just kicking around the basement and we are using supplies from our own house to decorate it. Cheap and easy, and much sturdier than the store-bought ones.

I'll try to remember to post pics when we're done!