Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   My flats aren't square - help! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464491)

Alisa 11-17-2012 11:53 AM

My flats aren't square - help!

I bought 18 osocozy flats, and they were a tiny bit off when I first got them, but now that they're prepped they're a good 5 inches longer in one direction. I had been planning on using the origami fold and i can't make it work to save my life!

Are there any other folds that would work better? I'm planning on using them when my newborn arrives and am really disappointed with how they've turned out :(

AZmommy 11-17-2012 11:57 AM

Re: My flats aren't square - help!

honestly I really dislike the origami fold on wee ones the wings end up sooo long. Look into NB folds or kite folds they work a lot better and work fine with the retangular flats.

myclanof6 11-17-2012 12:00 PM

Mini kite fold worked well when dd was small. I didn't use flats when she was a NB, but started maybe around 6-7ish months. She was only about 12/13 lbs at that point, so she was still little. There is a thread around here somewhere on different types of folds, just do a search for "flat fold tutorial" and it should pop up. :)

qsefthuko 11-17-2012 12:12 PM

Fold the extra 5 inches in. I like it that way. It gives an extra layer in the wet zone after you are done folding. I wouldn't trade my rectangular flats for square ones unless you paid me to.

c&w's mama 11-17-2012 03:27 PM

mine aren't square at all. I was recently wishing I'd bought from GMD instead. I learned origami fold from Karen's video... I would try the fold down mentioned above.

7arrows4God 11-17-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qsefthuko (Post 15943812)
Fold the extra 5 inches in. I like it that way. It gives an extra layer in the wet zone after you are done folding. I wouldn't trade my rectangular flats for square ones unless you paid me to.

What is your favorite fold, as I notice you use wool and I am still having trouble with poops. EBF.

qsefthuko 11-17-2012 07:37 PM

I think it is a cross between the kite fold and the airplane. I honestly can't remember.

I fold the short end in until my flat is square then bring that side in to the center like when making an airplane. One corner where the fabric folds is the point. I move the other end of the fold. I'm sorry I dont't think I am making much sense. The folded part winds up in the center of the diaper. Then the other side. Then I fold the wide too down and the bottom point up to the size I need. This leaves the bottom wide enough to do a jelly roll. I also find I need to make the back even with my sons bellybutton to help prevent leaks up the back. Also once on I tuck a bit of the back down to create a small barrier for the poop.

I guess it would actually be the airplane fold. Just make an airplane till the last wing fold making sure the part you folded in to make the square is in the center. Fold the top down to make it neat and bring the point up to make it as long as you would like it.

When adding extra absorption I find it best to add under the final folds or it doesn't allow for an effective jelly roll.

Alisa 11-18-2012 03:59 AM

:thumbsup: Thanks, I'll look that one up!

max'smamma 12-19-2012 09:23 AM

I just posted my modified messy kite in this thread. I can only do this fold on a flat that isn't square (28 x 24). Hope it helps. Sometimes square isn't so great! ;)

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...143602&page=14

FriedaT 12-19-2012 09:42 AM

I have flats from GMD, DR, and OsoCozy and none of them are square. I honestly thought flats weren't supposed to be square after prepping since the cotton shrinks in different directions. Anyway, I really like to fold my flats like a prefold and jelly roll the legs or angel wing fold them with another flat padfolded in the middle for absorbency. For a single flat I like the airplane fold. Even with folding the legs in, I had too many leaks with the origami fold. I haven't used flats on a newborn though.