Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   fastest way to prep hemp? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464497)

AZmommy 11-17-2012 01:15 PM

fastest way to prep hemp?

Okay so its been FOREVER since I've owned NEW hemp. However I have 6 new hemp inserts that just arrived to replace the last of my microfiber... SO quickest way to prep?

Deanna

qsefthuko 11-17-2012 01:21 PM

Re: fastest way to prep hemp?

Boil with dawn dish soap I think. Then wash once or twice with towels or diapers.

AZmommy 11-17-2012 01:56 PM

can I skip the boiling and just toss them in with a few loads of towels/sheets first? I have like 2-3 loads of towels I need to wash and at least one of sheets thy will all be washed on hot can I jsut throw these in as well?

qsefthuko 11-17-2012 02:20 PM

You can but I think using the washer takes about 8-10 washes to become fully absorbant. The boiling hot water with dawn I believe removes the natural oils faster. I have used my hemp with only 4 washes in the washer but understand it will not hold as long as when it is fully prepped.

AZmommy 11-17-2012 02:22 PM

yea I know that, I jsut want enough so they can be used (not totally repelling) I realize they will increase assorbancy with time.
Dawn is not allowed in my home.....

Deanna

Nat4 11-17-2012 02:45 PM

I just boiled mine with plain water, and it worked fine. The little research I did on prepping hemp all said boiling was great, but no one ever mentioned adding Dawn. I boiled them for about 15 minutes, and was good to go. :-)

fluffybuttzoe 11-17-2012 06:46 PM

I started boiling a few but quickly realized it was going to be a pain considering how many I had and the size of my pot. I just washed them a couple of times in the washing machine keeping in mind they wouldn't be at full absorbancy. I had no problems!

AZmommy 11-17-2012 07:28 PM

I only have 6 inserts so boiling wouldn't have been a huge thing I just didn't want too.. :blush:
I basically let them ride along for the laundry loads today I washed 2 loads of towels on hot and they tagged along for both them a load of sheets on hot rode along (and went through a dry cycle) then they tagged along for 3 more regular clothes loads (one more dry cycle) on warm I'm washing diapers tonight so I've toss them in again with that load, I think they should be good..

Deanna

mypeanut09 11-17-2012 11:23 PM

Um, I just wash them with towels once and add a doubler until they've been washed enough to be absorbent

AZmommy 11-18-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mypeanut09 (Post 15945463)
Um, I just wash them with towels once and add a doubler until they've been washed enough to be absorbent

:giggle: thats kinda my take on things.. It jsut happened to also be a full laundry day for me so it was easy to keep tossing them back into the loads, in the end they got 7 rounds 4 in hot and 3 in warm/cool.