Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Babywearing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Do you like a stretchy or woven wrap bette? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464558)

Dhartanya 11-17-2012 04:22 PM

Do you like a stretchy or woven wrap bette?

Which do you guys prefer? And why?

Nachomama 11-17-2012 07:45 PM

If I were to have only one carrier, it would be a woven. A good woven wrap can take you from newborn to preschooler (wore my 4.75 yo in one the other day). It can do front, hip or back carries. You can wear 2 kids at once in one.

Stretchies do have some advantages, though. They are much less costly. They are snuggly soft even brand new, need no breaking in. You cant back carry with them, though, only woven or hybrid. After 15-20 lbs, baby tends to sag. I also think they are tougher to nurse in.

A hybrid, like a Je Porte Mon Bebe, might be another option.

Palooka 11-17-2012 07:54 PM

Re: Do you like a stretchy or woven wrap bette?

I like my woven. My friend had a stretchy wrap and her baby ended up being really heavy. It looked very uncomfortable, like a baby-thong-carrier. :giggle:

babyfever2012 11-18-2012 09:21 AM

I prefer woven because the stretchy didn't feel secure enough. I would never do a stretchy again and the woven are well worth the price.

mommaagain 11-18-2012 09:31 AM

You get some big time sag factor with a stretchy by 15 lbs. I love my wovens. I was still hiking with 37 lb DS on my back up until I got pregnant. You can also choose to use a much shorter woven and still carry comfortably, safely and securely. It's nice to have options that are under 6m of fabric. You can't beat the versatility of a woven. It's been a picnic blanket, sun shade, swing, hammock, fort, trail side towel and snuggle blanket. And since there are no buckles to breack or stitching to wear out, they tend to have good resale value. Just don't get caught up in the latest release circus.

L J 11-18-2012 09:51 AM

I like both. If I could only pick one I would get a woven. I love a stretchy wrap those first couple of months when the baby seems so fragile. I love to pre tie a stretchy wrap before leaving the house and be able to just pop baby in when we get there.

I have a Wrapsody Bali Baby Stretch, which doesn't have as much stretch as a Boba/Sleepy Wrap or a Moby. I can still comfortably wear my 24lb 14 month old in it for short periods of time.

Wovens just last longer, look better and are light years more supportive to both mama and baby after the first couple of months.

thtr4me 11-19-2012 05:42 PM

Hands down woven wrap. Although there is something nice about having a stretchy for the newborn squishy phase, I don't consider it essential. Woven wraps are a must have around here!

Lovinfluffybuns 11-20-2012 04:03 PM

I have a strechy wrap like a moby but made locally in my town and I love it! I can tighten it as I wear it by pulling the straps and re-tying it again without taking it off or the baby out. It was amazing for the lil squish stage to as I could use it as a sling and nurse in it as well.

fluffybuttzoe 11-24-2012 05:59 PM

I have a Moby wrap and love it but can't use it much any more since my daughter is over 18 lbs now. So comfy and easy to move in. I really wish I would have started using it earlier with her so I ended up only having a small ideal window with her in it. I use a Beco as well and would love to get a woven wrap but not sure I can afford it right now.

fluffybuttzoe 11-24-2012 05:59 PM

I have a Moby wrap and love it but can't use it much any more since my daughter is over 18 lbs now. So comfy and easy to move in. I really wish I would have started using it earlier with her so I ended up only having a small ideal window with her in it. I use a Beco as well and would love to get a woven wrap but not sure I can afford it right now.