Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Is there such a thing as a nice way to... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464611)

UnderTheStars 11-17-2012 09:08 PM

Is there such a thing as a nice way to...

...tell your inlaws to quit feeding your children junk food? :banghead:

My 4.5 yo DD was there today and I was told she had:

four chocolate doughnuts
chocolate chip muffin
fruit snacks
lollipop
Oreos

and to drink she had just juice (the "contains 10% juice" kind) and a glass of soda. She was only there from about 8-4. I kind of want to scream but somehow I need to make it clear that this isn't acceptable...

mibarra 11-17-2012 09:12 PM

I might jokingly ask "Yeah, but what FOOD did she eat?" ;)

If it's only once in awhile, I wouldn't worry. If it's a regular deal, it's a problem.

Nickel+3 11-17-2012 09:12 PM

I'd just pack all her food and tell them this is all you want her eating.

UnderTheStars 11-17-2012 09:15 PM

Re: Is there such a thing as a nice way to...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mibarra (Post 15945095)
I might jokingly ask "Yeah, but what FOOD did she eat?" ;)

If it's only once in awhile, I wouldn't worry. If it's a regular deal, it's a problem.

Yeah, my inlaws watch them every Saturday and Sunday while DH and I are working. It's a big deal. :(

Booghierbaby 11-17-2012 09:16 PM

Aww....how frustrating to say the least... Maybe try to explain that small amounts is okay..but too much junk makes them have tummy aches?
pack snacks and juice? Send a list?
I think my MIL just loves feeding them sugar all day and sending them home to meltdown..while at her house they are sweet little angels who will do backflips for candy!!
I told her fine..if you must bake cookies at 745AM PLEASE make sure they eat some healthy things before then because they need that first before the sugar rush kicks in.... And BRUSH THEIR TEETH!!!! LOL!
Hope that helps a small bit to know your not alone momma!!

Computermama 11-17-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seeinstarrz (Post 15945086)
...tell your inlaws to quit feeding your children junk food? :banghead:

My 4.5 yo DD was there today and I was told she had:

four chocolate doughnuts
chocolate chip muffin
fruit snacks
lollipop
Oreos

and to drink she had just juice (the "contains 10% juice" kind) and a glass of soda. She was only there from about 8-4. I kind of want to scream but somehow I need to make it clear that this isn't acceptable...

Was this all they fed her? Did they give her any food not entirely made of sugar? If she had some good meals in there, I wouldn't be too mad, but if this is all she ate, something has to be said. I'd just be straight forward and say that you understand that part of being a grandparent is spoiling the grandchildren, but you would really appreciate it if they attempted to balance out the bad with some healthier stuff too - like even a glass of milk with the oreos.

danielle 11-17-2012 09:32 PM

Next week, I'd bring some apples over with me, and I'd hand them over while saying something like, I think the kids had a bit too much junk last weekend. I'd like to see if we can do a little better this weekend. Let's limit the sugary snack to a few cookies today, ok?

That way, you're not making a big federal case out of it, but you are getting your point across.

luvsviola 11-17-2012 09:43 PM

I would pack her a healthy lunch and say something like..."We are grateful for what you do for us. I went ahead and made (kiddo's name) a lunch to save you the trouble. I stuck some cheese sticks in for snacks. We are working hard to keep sugar down in her diet, so could you please try to limit the amount of sugar she has today?"

megenic 11-17-2012 09:58 PM

I wouldn't bother trying to be nice about that. Food is one of my wacko mama bear things and if someone fed my children that they would be getting an earful from me. I don't know WHY grandparents have this overwhelming desire to feed kids crap. When I'm a grandparent I vow to serve kale chips and homemade hummus.

lookatreestar 11-17-2012 10:00 PM

nothing worked with my inlaws so they watch my kids rarely.