Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Kids' schedule when YOUR sick? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464647)

jbug_4 11-18-2012 04:39 AM

Kids' schedule when YOUR sick?

DD is suppose to be going to a b-day party todayfor a girl at school, but I am sick. Its only my throat, but since it came from dd (she is now fine) I could be contagious. I've been sick 2 days. I thought I would go just be really careful to not spread the wealth. But i woke up this morning with no voice. Normally I won't take the kids places where they can spread their illnesses, but thought since I am an adult I should be able to manage better keeping my germs to myself. Kids'ages are 5 and up and its at an athletic club so they will be active during the party - I already know they will be climbing a rock wall. Anyway, do you attend kids' activities when YOU might be contagious? I would rather not, but because of dd's allergies and the need to have her epi pen to be present (this is a class mates party so I won't leave it with her parent- thats just a little weird to me- "Hey, I don't really know you and you don't know anything about food allergies or and epi pen, but here you go. I'll see you later"). We rsvped a week ago and I am pretty sure they are paying for a specific number of kids whether everyone comes or not. And dd would not be happy- she is very excited about the gift she chose and this is her first ever classmate party.

I really don't want to get anybody sick, but I don't feel like we can not go. This is the first me being sick has played a role in anything like this.

knodceo 11-18-2012 05:05 AM

Can hubby take her?

If not, I don't see a problem with you taking her. Just sit off to the side.

Maybe call ahead of time to explain? If you can get out a squeak. Or text/email. ;)

jbug_4 11-18-2012 06:57 AM

Re: Kids' schedule when YOUR sick?

Quote:

Originally Posted by knodceo (Post 15945722)
Can hubby take her?

If not, I don't see a problem with you taking her. Just sit off to the side.

Maybe call ahead of time to explain? If you can get out a squeak. Or text/email. ;)

dh is sick too- and a big ole baby. Even on a good day he doesn't do well with stuff like this.

I am feeling a bit better, less coughing and my voice is starting to come back so i think I can easily keep my germs to my self. I am not a big fan of hand sanitize but i think I will take some for me to use.

canadianbakers 11-18-2012 08:02 AM

I always take the kids places unless I'm feeling really bad or vomiting.
I cover my mouth/nose when coughing/sneezing, use tissues to blow my nose, and wash my hands often. Yeah, someone may catch the cold (or whatever) from me, but not as likely as if it was a child. And, really, they're probably gonna catch it anyways - if I have it, I'm sure others do too.

jbug_4 11-18-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadianbakers (Post 15945964)
I always take the kids places unless I'm feeling really bad or vomiting.
I cover my mouth/nose when coughing/sneezing, use tissues to blow my nose, and wash my hands often. Yeah, someone may catch the cold (or whatever) from me, but not as likely as if it was a child. And, really, they're probably gonna catch it anyways - if I have it, I'm sure others do too.

I was thinking this too. The child whose b-day it is sits right next to dd, at the same table, in school. They share pencils and everything else. So either dd got it from her anyway or dd has already given it to her.

mmmom 11-18-2012 08:48 AM

I would probably go.

On another topic, the Epi pen I wanted to share what I have done with my dd. When I RSVP I explain that dd has an Epi pen and thus I am able to stay with her to avoid the parent being put into an uncomfortable situation. This has led to me learning that one mom was a nurse, another had an older child with an Epi pen and one mom asked me to stay but asked if I could teach her how to use it for future reference. Other moms ask me for safe brands of ice cream so dd can eat it (I always send a cupcake)
I ordered the practice Epi pen from the website and taught dd how to use it, she is 7 and has been practicing for 2 years, it also comes in handy for teaching other parents.
The first round of school birthdays I stayed but as we are in our 3rd year of school I am leaving her now as many of the parents know her and are comfortable with the Epi pen. My dd is also very good about not being able to eat the same things as her friends

jbug_4 11-18-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmom (Post 15946097)
I would probably go.

On another topic, the Epi pen I wanted to share what I have done with my dd. When I RSVP I explain that dd has an Epi pen and thus I am able to stay with her to avoid the parent being put into an uncomfortable situation. This has led to me learning that one mom was a nurse, another had an older child with an Epi pen and one mom asked me to stay but asked if I could teach her how to use it for future reference. Other moms ask me for safe brands of ice cream so dd can eat it (I always send a cupcake)
I ordered the practice Epi pen from the website and taught dd how to use it, she is 7 and has been practicing for 2 years, it also comes in handy for teaching other parents.
The first round of school birthdays I stayed but as we are in our 3rd year of school I am leaving her now as many of the parents know her and are comfortable with the Epi pen. My dd is also very good about not being able to eat the same things as her friends

We do have the practice pen and have been teaching dd. I ended up talking to several parents who asked questions about food. One surprised me with the precautions she says she is taking at home- having her dd wash face, and hands and teach before leaving the house after eating PB. She has always been kind of stand offish so i was surprised that they were taking such good precautions. I brought popcorn (the snack for the party) and cupcakes so we were covered. The mom did not include any peanut stuff but there was milk- not a big deal since its only a sensitivity most of the parents don't even know about the dairy because dd doesn't eat anything from other people anyway.