Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Keeping Kids active in not so nice weather (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464652)

Hands&Fire Pottery 11-18-2012 06:53 AM

Keeping Kids active in not so nice weather

Looking for some new ideas on this... we live in Minnesota, and so there are plenty of days coming up where a trip to the park is just not enjoyable or needs to be brief.

We have a peanut ball for bouncing and that is a huge hit around here, so I would definitely recommend that if others are looking for ideas too.

What do you do in your family?

MarieSeeking 11-18-2012 07:09 AM

Just Dance on the Wii!

taximom 11-18-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarieSeeking
Just Dance on the Wii!

This is what I do. I also take then to the local ymca and go swimming.

mmmom 11-18-2012 08:36 AM

My daughter has 2hrs of gymnastics and 2hr of ballet each week and my son plays hockey 2hr/week.
Our city also offers free public skating at various indoor arenas at various times, we try to skate 2-3 times a week when we don't have activities.
There are also free indoor parks in our malls or we pay $5 to go to the bigger ones in the Recreation Centers.
We have long :brr: winters with LOTS of snow so sledding, snow shoeing and ski are also great activities. We actually have a ski hill in the city limits, nothing huge but great for beginners and children

mommaagain 11-18-2012 09:09 AM

Re: Keeping Kids active in not so nice weather

My kids still go out unless it's frigid. DS2 is too small to go out on his own, but he is very active. He likes to ride his bike and I walk with him to keep warm. I'll be in the house with the new baby come Feb. I'm planning to put up a couple heavy duty hooks for a wrap swing to keep him entertained in the house. And we do have an xbox kinect for active indoor games as well. The local Y is a great place to get them out and be active. You don't necessarily need to sign up for a class. There is always open pool time and open gym time in the schedules.

Hands&Fire Pottery 11-18-2012 09:13 AM

I should look at the open pool time at our Y. It is a really nice zero entry pool- DD liked it a lot when we were members. I know we have indoor playgrounds locally- wonder if they have some specials...

Is just dance something a 4 year old could do?

megenic 11-18-2012 09:53 AM

I got two kids yoga DVDs and they do those a few times a week. They love them! I have a mini trampoline in the basement that they bounce on. I encourage them to chase each other around the house. We go to the McDonald's play area a lot...I get them apple slices and a coffee for me and I just sit and veg while they play :giggle:. I have been know. To take them to the mall and just walk around for a couple of hours. We go swimming. Sometimes we go to the indoor gymnastics place and play for an hour. We go skating and sledding. We build snowmen. We dig in the snow.

Can you tell I have lots of experience with cold weather? Living in Canada you have to get creative :-)

Hands&Fire Pottery 11-18-2012 12:25 PM

Thanks Megan- good to have some fresh ideas. I do have some yoga dvds, but they have been ignored when I played them in the past. I should try again-

acwakip 11-18-2012 12:39 PM

We have a membership to the local Kroc center. Their pool is awesome and they have a game room for the older kids while I work out.

The pool has all glass surrounding it so it is nice during the day to have the sun. That said, we rarely go swimming during the day.

Ainmemphis 11-18-2012 02:05 PM

I used to have a gym membership with pool but they kept raising rates so we canceled. We have the just dance for kids for the kinect my 3 year old loves it. Also for his birthday we splurged on a small bounce house that can hold about 2 kids. It fits just perfectly inside our living room and only take a couple minutes to set up/put away so we pull that out on rainy days. It doesn't get too cold here so we try to still go outside some but I know when baby comes in Feb it will be a lot of indoor play.