Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Weaning Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   To wean or not to wean.... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464664)

cinderella08 11-18-2012 07:57 AM

To wean or not to wean....

...that is the question

I'm so confused right now. My 27 month old is still nursing. He nurses to sleep at naptime and bedtime, wakes 1-2 times during the night, nurses first thing in the morning, and then if he's sick or hurt. He'll ask to nurse all throughout the day, but I typically have been asking him to wait or just saying not right now, let's wait til naptime - and he's been pretty accepting.

We just found out we are expecting baby #3 in July! I suffer from endo/adeno and PCOS - both of which cause me to have milk supply issues that are hormonally based. We had to supplement with donor milk for Levi from 2-6 months because he was losing so much weight. I know that tandeming won't be ideal for us because of this - I will need to be very focused on making as much milk as possibly for the newbie.

I can already tell my supply has decreased because he's getting frustrated during nursing and even tells me "there's no milk in this side" after just a few sucks. He's constantly switching sides back and forth, back and forth. I'm really praying my milk does go ahead and dry up so that he'll be 'forced' to wean because there's no milk VS me having to 'force' him to wean just because there's a new baby coming.

At this point I'm not sure what to do. Go ahead and start the weaning process? Give it a month or two and see if my milk supply continues to decrease and thus having him wean on his own because there's no milk? Try to let him continue nursing and try to tandem?

Thanks for letting me get that out...

warmnfuzzyndry 12-01-2012 07:21 PM

Re: To wean or not to wean....

I have heard, second hand, from two moms whose kids weaned themselves during pregnancy due to milk drying up. Maybe that will happen for you. You could start with cutting back on nursing times, maybe cutting out night nursing first. We did that but have been unsuccessful in cutting daytime nursing back.

tibeca 12-04-2012 10:26 AM

Not all kids stop nursing because there is no milk. I have nursed through pregnancy twice because my kids didn't care whether there was milk or not.

SurprisinglyCrunchy 12-09-2012 08:45 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't bank on that. DD would have continued on through my pregnancy if I hadn't weaned her. I didn't have any milk left and she seemed fine with continuing on. With your past supply issues (fellow cyster here!), I would work toward weaning now and get it out of the way. Better to get it over with now than having to explain why he can't nurse when the new baby gets here.