Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Low/No Purine Recipes (ie Gout Diet) I need Vegan help! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464748)

Rdesonia 11-18-2012 02:03 PM

Low/No Purine Recipes (ie Gout Diet) I need Vegan help!

Dh has Gout. We have cut out beef but basically if he skips a dose of medication he is in pain. His joints are "the worst" his doctor ever saw. :banghead: He had surgery last year on his knee and it helped. (He had other damage to his knee so it was not for gout) The insides of his joints were just white and crazy bad build up.

He was told to avoid beef and alcohol. It is not really helping or enough. (DH literally has a limp if he eats a steak! He really suffered after he took a trip to Omaha! He was bad and had a huge steak dinner!)

I really need to start cooking a Low/No Purine diet. Dh agreed that he would go Vegan if it helped. The problem is I don't think a vegan diet would work. He has finally agreed that his health is more important than his taste buds. But I'd like to make the changes as painless as possible.

Foods to avoid : Beef, pork, lamb, organ meats (we don't eat these anyway), seafood, spinach, asparagus, cauliflower, mushrooms, oatmeal, dried beans, lentils, peas, fructose (like high fructose corn syrup), high fat dairy, Saturated fats, refined foods (like white bread) etc

He can eat chicken or lean fish (not sure what is lean... tuna, trout, and cod are no-no's). We have access to rabbit but I need to check if that is okay. (I *think* it is)

I thought I was doing good because we ate lots of salads ... :banghead: but we were eating fresh spinach. I was doing a "no meat" meal once a week but those were often bean/pea soups or alfredo pasta. I'm going to start buying only whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread (we also bake our own and use whole wheat flour), low-fat/no-fat dairy (We can't go 100% dairy free. I'll buy him skim and the kids whole milk), etc)

What Healthy recipes do you have ?

PS...We eat are eclectic eaters. We love Mexican, Curry, Italian, German, Asian, and other ethnic foods. I cook from scratch or part-homemade most meals. Any ideas are welcome! I know we have lots of creative Mommas on here! Thanks in Advance!

aaiya 11-18-2012 07:45 PM

Re: Low/No Purine Recipes (ie Gout Diet)

I don't know much, but with Thanksgiving coming up, I know my dad always says turkey makes his gout flair up.

Rdesonia 11-19-2012 11:47 PM

Re: Low/No Purine Recipes (ie Gout Diet)

I'm just really stumped and I know there are plenty of vegan/vegetarians on here... please help me think of some meal plans! I can google the recipe if you just list the names of a few dishes.

What no-meat meals can I cook without beans/peas/lentils that don't have lots of cheese?

(I know how to make seitan. I also have made my own tofu before. But I flavored the seitan with lots of Mushrooms.... And the tofu I used in Hot and spicy beef soup. So I kinda need a direction on how to make them tasty or use them in different ways. )

d_arnold 11-26-2012 08:36 AM

Re: Low/No Purine Recipes (ie Gout Diet) I need Vegan help!

Can he eat pasta?

krispy79 11-26-2012 08:56 AM

We love meatless fajitas over here. We sauté peppers and onions and top with veggies, guacamole (that we make at home), salsa, all the fixins.
I recently made a tvp chili (you could just leave out the beans and maybe add something else), even my hubby was amazed at how much it tasted like real chili. The recipe was on the bag of bob's red mill tvp.
How about soups or stews? Chicken soup is always a yummy idea (since you are eating chicken) or try a carrot and parsnip soup with a big yummy crouton.
Taste buds don't have to suffer, they just need to adjust a little.

Eta: I recently made a cream of broccoli soup. I used noodles instead of cream or milk I just over cooked them in the soup and puréed it all. 2q vegetable stock, onion, celery, carrot, large crown of broccoli, garlic, and fresh parsley. I cut the very tippy tops of the broccoli off and put aside (think teeny broccoli pieces) then chopped up the rest of the broccoli stalk and all (shave off the tough outer layer). Sautéed garlic, added chopped veggies and cooked until tender, added veggie stock/broth, brought to a boil, added 2c of elbow noodles and boiled for 20 minutes until everything was soft. Puréed the soup in my blender and returned to the stove. Added the broccoli tops and heated until they were tender. I did top each everyone else's soup with a little grated cheddar and Parmesan cheese for the cheesy appeal.

debcita429 11-28-2012 10:13 AM

Although it is hard to budget, my doctor told me that studies show that free range chicken (and beef) has much lower puric acid than regular meats. They don't really know why, but the levels are very different. I always look for manager's specials on free range meats, and although I am a chicken breast lover, I often pick up the cheaper skinless, boneless chicken thighs. I find that Kroger usually gives me a coupon toward my next purchase every time I buy free range chicken too. Eating almost all free range meat has helped me. I do not have gout, but I do have some arthritis that was aggravated by the puric acid.

debcita429 11-28-2012 10:16 AM

While the above might be worth trying, I think this superb quinoa recipe could be made without the chickpeas: http://gardenofeatingblog.blogspot.c...th-tahini.html

debcita429 11-28-2012 10:21 AM

Also, for symptom management, you might really consider trying Tart Cherry Concentrate. Swanson sells it in capsule form, and Vitacost carries it in liquid form. I think it is such a wonder that I have bought some for friends!

I'll have to think about other possibilities. Lentils are my vegan go-to because of their low price. But quinoa could be perfect to play around with. You could add shredded chicken to the above recipe when removing the garbanzos.

I would look up any couscous recipes online and try substituting the more nutritious quinoa. For instance, there are good salsa-couscous recipes. Then you could round it out with some shredded chicken :).

debcita429 11-28-2012 10:25 AM

Here is a Salsa Couscous recipe for which you could substitute quinoa. I used to make this in my pre-gluten free and pre-vinegar free days:

CHICKEN WITH SALSA COUSCOUS QUICK PREP

1 1/3-1 ½ cups chunky salsa
½ cup water
2/3 cup couscous
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves--Cut into pieces if you want to put the whole recipe in one pot (absorbs more flavor), or else you may leave them whole to make it speedier.
Cilantro or parsley sprigs, too taste
¼ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp cumin
1 minced clove garlic

Spray pan and add garlic, cinnamon, and cumin, stirring on low heat for 1 minute. Add the chicken; stir and increase heat.
Meanwhile, heat salsa and water to boiling in a small saucepan; stir in couscous. Cover; remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes [If substituting quinoa you will need to leave it on the heat and keep it at a low boil for 20 minutes]. Then stir in cilantro and cooked chicken.

~happy2Bamommy~ 11-28-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debcita429 (Post 15980377)
Also, for symptom management, you might really consider trying Tart Cherry Concentrate. Swanson sells it in capsule form, and Vitacost carries it in liquid form. I think it is such a wonder that I have bought some for friends!

I'll have to think about other possibilities. Lentils are my vegan go-to because of their low price. But quinoa could be perfect to play around with. You could add shredded chicken to the above recipe when removing the garbanzos.

I would look up any couscous recipes online and try substituting the more nutritious quinoa. For instance, there are good salsa-couscous recipes. Then you could round it out with some shredded chicken :).

Bolded is AWESOME stuff for gout!

I know many people that have used the one made by Enzymatic Therapy called Black Cherry Concentrate too. A buddy of ours got it last week and said that by day three he was felling almost like his old self again.