Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Does anyone have painted cabinets with wood colored trim? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464853)

somo_chickenlady 11-18-2012 09:23 PM

Does anyone have painted cabinets with wood colored trim?

I was wondering if anyone has painted kitchen cabinets, but the rest of your house has medium wood trim? I would love to paint our kitchen cabinets, and I was thinking like a cream or a blue-grey, or maybe a light green, but I'm not sure what it would look like with wood trim. I've tried looking on Pinterest and such, but all of the pictures have white trim. I don't want to do it if it will look weird. If you have pictures to share, so I can get an idea, that would be awesome!

This is our kitchen, what it looked like when we bought it. I think the cabinets would look nice painted b/c the doors are beadboard. I'd also like to put up some kind of back splash, but that is something DH would have to do so I'm not holding out a lot of hope that it will happen. LOL

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3..._3414861_n.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3..._3018657_n.jpg

What do you think? Would it look stupid, or do you think that if I pick the right color, something that would look good with the wood trim, that it would look decent?

mcpforever 11-18-2012 09:28 PM

Re: Does anyone have painted cabinets with wood colored trim?

I would totally do it, but you had me at blue-grey. I pink sparkly heart blue cabinets. You might paint the wall cabinets and then refinish the island in a wood tone to help pull the trim together. It seems like two tone kitchens are a big thing in newer homes.

jam's mum 11-18-2012 09:35 PM

We do! I think it looks lovely, and I'm so pleased we did it. Our top cabinets are creamy white and our bottom cabinets are a stormy sort of grey. But our cabinets were a different wood colour from our trim to begin with (they were reddish cherry, trim is medium oak in the kitchen and dark in the rest of the house).

I think what you are planning sounds beautiful.

somo_chickenlady 11-18-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcpforever (Post 15948034)
I would totally do it, but you had me at blue-grey. I pink sparkly heart blue cabinets. You might paint the wall cabinets and then refinish the island in a wood tone to help pull the trim together. It seems like two tone kitchens are a big thing in newer homes.

See, that's what I was considering also. As they are now, the cabinets aren't quite dark enough to match the trim, so I was thinking about painting the wall cabinets a lighter color, and then painting the island slightly darker. The trim and the windows in the house are beautiful knotty pine, so they have darker and lighter shades throughout, so I was thinking of matching the darker shades in the trim. Does that make sense?

somo_chickenlady 11-18-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jam's mum (Post 15948057)
We do! I think it looks lovely, and I'm so pleased we did it. Our top cabinets are creamy white and our bottom cabinets are a stormy sort of grey. But our cabinets were a different wood colour from our trim to begin with (they were reddish cherry, trim is medium oak in the kitchen and dark in the rest of the house).

I think what you are planning sounds beautiful.

I would LOVE that! Do you happen to have a picture?

jam's mum 11-18-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somo_chickenlady (Post 15948063)
I would LOVE that! Do you happen to have a picture?

Camera's charging, I'll take one tomorrow morning :)

somo_chickenlady 11-18-2012 09:58 PM

Awesome, thanks so much!!

somo_chickenlady 11-18-2012 10:54 PM

So I was talking to DH, and I mentioned blue cabinets, and he didn't immediately scoff at the idea, but asked for pictures to get an idea of what I was talking about.

I was thinking this blue on the bottom cabinets:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...4rdBxgcB_c.jpg

...and a taupe color like this on the upper cabinets:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...FoXJpfBj_c.jpg

I think those two colors would look good with the trim and the existing paint color (in the above photos I posted), as well as the cream counters which we can't afford to replace. I was also thinking of putting up a beadboard back splash, b/c that is something I could easily do myself, and it would go with the beadboard in the cabinet doors. Also, I LOVE open shelving, so I was thinking of taking the doors off of the two cabinet between the corner cabinet and the refrigerator, and if I put beadboard up inside the back of them and painted it, that it would look really cool.

What do you think? Should I still paint the island darker, or do you think the blue would look okay on it? I think the blue and the color of our trim would match well, but I'm not sure if that is too much. Kwim?

kushie tushie 11-18-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somo_chickenlady
So I was talking to DH, and I mentioned blue cabinets, and he didn't immediately scoff at the idea, but asked for pictures to get an idea of what I was talking about.

I was thinking this blue on the bottom cabinets:

...and a taupe color like this on the upper cabinets:

I think those two colors would look good with the trim and the existing paint color (in the above photos I posted), as well as the cream counters which we can't afford to replace. I was also thinking of putting up a beadboard back splash, b/c that is something I could easily do myself, and it would go with the beadboard in the cabinet doors. Also, I LOVE open shelving, so I was thinking of taking the doors off of the two cabinet between the corner cabinet and the refrigerator, and if I put beadboard up inside the back of them and painted it, that it would look really cool.

What do you think? Should I still paint the island darker, or do you think the blue would look okay on it? I think the blue and the color of our trim would match well, but I'm not sure if that is too much. Kwim?

That blue/grey kitchen is beautiful!
I would probably do top and bottom cabinets in the grey and the island in the taupe. :)

Amanda :). Blaming my phone for typos and crap.

AngelElle 11-18-2012 11:21 PM

First, think the blue grey cabinets you picked out are beautiful. But... I also really like the wood finish that you have now. We tried painting our kitchen cabinets, and it was a nightmare. The drawers always stuck, paint chipped off right away, and I just wasn't happy with the way it looked overall. Are you wanting more color in your kitchen? Replacing or painting countertop might give a pop of color, and adding handles to the cabinets could add a little something. I love your backsplash idea. If you do paint them, are you able to spray them? I think that would give you a nicer finish. We had a ton of drips and rolls and I would imagine the beadboard would be tough to get just right. Just my two cents. I know other people have painted cabinets and been happy with it. I think there is something really charming about the blue grey color in a kitchen. Makes me think of a French county cottage. Maybe you could get the color in on the walls, curtains, plates, chair cushions?