Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   How many did or did Not get rashes or burn from Nellie's or Eco Sprout detergent? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464855)

7arrows4God 11-18-2012 08:41 PM

How many did or did Not get rashes or burn from Nellie's or Eco Sprout detergent?

Harder to find info on this.

Rocking Green was very very bad for us. Major burn and peeling that is taking long to heal.

So trying to find alternative.

Actually think I am going to try The Laundry Tarts. So if any of you have experience bum burn with this as well - let me know.

But these are two others I am considering. I actually have some Nellie's here that I found hiding upstairs, did not know I had it, so let me know. Is it worth it, did you get any terrible rashes or worse burns. Or let me know how many of you it worked for when you got rashes from others. And what those others were.

Also the same goes for Eco Sprout? Same questions here as above.

Each one of these does seem to carry a bit of different ingredients, so what is harsh and what is not, even if it claims for sensitive skin?
Experience is everything.

Also mention if you have Hard Water. Please and greatly thankful

Hungry Caterpillar 11-18-2012 10:18 PM

Re: How many did or did Not get rashes or burn from Nellie's or Eco Sprout detergent?

We have hard water. We use Nellies on our clothes and used it on diapers until recently with zero issues. My DS has sensitive skin so that's saying a lot.

No experience with Eco Sprout

kirst 11-19-2012 12:23 AM

Re: How many did or did Not get rashes or burn from Nellie's or Eco Sprout detergent?

I have very hard water. I've used Nellie's on cltohing and diapers with no skin issues. My son doesn't appear to have sensitive skin, but I have terrible excema (have had my whole life). The Nellie's doesn't worsen my excema (doesn't improve it either, but doesn't worsen it.). I have also used Tide F & G with no ill effects and it seems to get the diapers softer. I have tried Rocking Green Hard Rock to prep diapers and on laundry before my son was born and didn't find it worked well to clean at all. Have since heard tons of stories about little one's with bum rash, so now I'm scared to use the rest of the envelope.

Note: If you go with Nellie's, you can buy huge tubs of it at Costco for $99 that last 5 years (4,000 loads worth). They drop ship it to your doorstep and it's way cheaper than ordering it online. Well worth the hassle of getting together with a friend and splitting it!

carolinaem 11-19-2012 05:22 AM

I used Nellie's for awhile- no rah issues but my diapers always smelled funky with it- like slightly dirty. Tried using all sorts of amounts but it just did not work in our diapers. (I have plain old city water.)

EmilyA874 11-19-2012 05:41 AM

We hated Rockin Green too, was horrible for us. I use Nellie's now for both clothes and diapers with no issues, I love it. We have soft water though, not sure if that makes a difference.

mommygonewild 11-19-2012 06:24 AM

There is some good info here on Eco Sprout http://www.clothdiapergeek.com/searc...sprout+ammonia

I've also done some research into detergents "causing" burns and it could be that it's not compatible with your water type and therefore not getting your diapers clean enough, not using enough detergent, not using enough water (like if you had a front loader) etc. It's usually what's left behind on the diapers like ammonia and bacteria that causes the burning, not the detergent ingredients themselves.

I used to love Charlies and so many say it didn't work for them. But I really <3 Eco Sprout and think you should give it a try. :)

mommygonewild 11-19-2012 06:25 AM

double post.

Skybaby712 11-19-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolinaem
I used Nellie's for awhile- no rah issues but my diapers always smelled funky with it- like slightly dirty. Tried using all sorts of amounts but it just did not work in our diapers. (I have plain old city water.)

This! In its defense, I used it when I was having stink issues. It cleans DHs work clothes perfectly and is hands down the best cleaning natural detergent that I've tried! As soon as I get the stink out of my diapers I'm trying my again because I'm sure it will get them clean.

Done at 3 11-19-2012 08:23 AM

I use nellies for all my laundry including diapers and my kids have crazy sensitive skin and we have had no bad reactions. We have soft water. I love Nellies and their oxygen brightener is great too, but pricey :(. I have the giant tub of Nellies that I ordered through cotton babies, the brightener doesn't come in bulk though.

rosebrok 11-19-2012 08:28 AM

We had rashes with Eco Sprout and RnG. We use a combination of Country Save/Tide here.