Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   any radiologic techs/ RNs? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464864)

GreenBottomBaby 11-18-2012 09:15 PM

any radiologic techs/ RNs?

I'm trying to decide what to go back to school for......my choices (that I'm interested in) are radiologic technology or nursing.

I do not have anyone locally to ask but I'm worried about career advancement with the rad tech degree. How difficult is it to get certified for other specialties (I.e. mri, sono, rad therapy etc)

Also for nursing I'm interested in l&d/lactation (of course) and nursing in the or, oncology, any tips on getting into specific areas if I choose that route?

Which would you choose?

Thanks!

kharvey92611 11-19-2012 05:50 PM

Nursing . You'll have more options for advancement

GreenBottomBaby 12-15-2012 01:01 PM

Re: any radiologic techs/ RNs?

bump

NeilsRene 12-15-2012 01:25 PM

Nursing gives you tons of options once you have some experience. However, you'll have to plan on getting a BSN, either initially or shortly after getting your RN. You can't do much without it. RT's are in high demand though, and it's less school and still has several options.

GreenBottomBaby 12-15-2012 01:43 PM

I would plan on getting my bsn if I go that route, our hospital here makes you sign an agreement saying you will get it in a certain amt of time. I would probably go on to get my NP eventually....I love going to school.

The Rad tech program here is the same length as the RN program and has less pre-reqs Id have to take (ive finished some already)

The biggest issue I have is that the application date for the red tech program is only in may each year and the RN program is in may and september. So if I went for rad tech I couldnt apply until may of 2014 (due to pre-reqs) and I could apply to the RN program in sept of 2013. Then what if I do not get accepted the first go around.....:banghead:

TangerineTea 12-19-2012 09:41 PM

I am a career counselor and I am giving away 28 hours of service as part of a Facebook project called Give 28 where you give 28 things in love/kindness in response to the tragedy at Sandy Hook. I would like to offer you an hour of my services for free, really and truly! I have helped others research the same decision you are thinking of in terms of Radiologic tech, and I'd like to help you find the relevant info for Florida, because all states are different. Basically, we will chat by phone for about 20 minutes, and then I can do the research for you and send you all the links and info. PM if you have questions :goodvibes:

weaverk 12-27-2012 08:10 PM

hi
i am an OR nurse, and I just wanted to give a bit of input. I work in a highly specialized area where we are crosstrained and work very closely with the radiology department. what i have learned from the people I work with is that there is room for growth in that field, but you are always still going to be a tech. for example, i have worked with those that just take xrays for ortho and neuro procedures ans that seems to be more busy work, but i have also worked with those that work in interventional radiology and assist with procedures like in the cath lab..those techs seem to make more money, but always less that a nurse.
I love my job as an OR RN. It will probably be the only place I ever work and i'm ok with that. It is intense and loud and quiet and sad and wonderful almost everyday. I've seen more people than i can count die right before me, but i have helped save countless number of people that would not have made it if we were not there...those days make the hard days a bit easier. The surgeons I work with and the nurses and residents on our team are like family to me, I have always said if i am going to leave my children to work outside of the home, it has to be a job where i feel like i make a difference..my job feels like that job almost everyday. are there annoying things? sure. are there people there that aren't my favorite people in the world? of course. But the good days are just soooo good:) i vote for OR nurse:)

anj 01-01-2013 11:34 PM

I am an RN but am looking into other careers. I have been a nurse for 7 years. There are things that I love about nursing. And the pay and flexible schedule are great. For me, it is not worth dealing with the stress. I think nurses are often treated poorly and and overworked (to the point of endangering patients).

A lot of people love their RN jobs. I wish someone had warned me about what nursing is really like. Try googling "I hate nursing." :2cents:

Sorry. I know that doesn't answer your question. Nursing is a great career for some, but the burnout rate is pretty high. Make sure it is really right for you before you have put the time and money into a degree.

ctierney 01-04-2013 04:44 PM

I am also a nurse with a BSN. I am now back in school for my MSN as a FNP. I have worked in several area of the hospital since 2003 and as an ER nurse since 2008. The rad tech option is less stress and great pay for what you do. It depends on your long term goals. If you truly want to be an NP go for the BSN. If not do the rad tech and go home with a clear conscience every day!

MrsCrafty 01-09-2013 09:29 AM

I would do the Rn. I'm a school nurse, I started out working med/surg in a childrens hospital, then Oncology, and then in the NICU. I worked 12 hour nights and got really burnt out on the long hours, weekends and holidays. This is my first year in the school and I'm really enjoying the change of pace, spending more time with my kids, and just different experience. In nursing there's a ton of different opportunities :goodvibes: