Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Christmas $$ issue (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464916)

MamaNae 11-19-2012 06:27 AM

Christmas $$ issue

Sort of a #firstworldproblem

We set aside a specific amount of money per child for Christmas gifts out of our taxes, $200.

We are sorta strict about # of gifts, they get Something you Want, Something you Need, Something to Play and Something to Read and then a larger gift from Santa.

The 'problem' is that I was able to get almost everything for DS2 for $17 total (so far, got to get his 'need' which will be clothes but I don't anticipate it costing $180 for a single outfit and pjs and a book) And I've been able to get most of DD's gift for way less. I used Swagbucks and found great deals on deal a day sites and flash coupons. I need her 'Need' and her 'play' 'read'...and I don't anticipate that costing the $150 I have left.

I haven't spent a dime on Ds1 yet..he wants a Nintendo 3DS and I couldn't figure out how to get him a game AND a DS and other gifts with just $200...but now I'm looking to have at least $150 left from DS2 and probably $100 left from DD. So I could 'borrow' from their $ and get DS1 a 3ds and a game (it would be his ONLY gift...he'd get some clothes and a book is all)

Anyway, is that fair to take their money? I wouldn't buy them any additional gifts because of out theme so I may as well use some of it on DS1 right? Get the 1 thing he REALLY wants?

I got DD & DS2 gifts they REALLY want I was just super lucky to get them for next to nothing (So far I've bought gifts at a retail value of $190 and actually spent $65 out of pocket)

mommabritt 11-19-2012 06:34 AM

As long as the other children are also getting what thy really want (and not shorted to pay for one kids gift kwim?) I think it's fine. The $200 was your safety to pay for Christmas, it wasn't a rule of 'Christmas must cost this much for each child!' :)

mamatoclaire 11-19-2012 06:35 AM

Since you have leftover from finding great deals, I don't see a problem with using the money for your other child. If you had gotten them cheap gifts and then your son a DS that would be an issue. But if they're all getting things they want, they never need to know you were a thrifty shopper.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum

Nerissa 11-19-2012 06:36 AM

Re: Christmas $$ issue

I don't see a problem with it. Just because you budget the $200 doesn't mean you need to spend it. An older child getting a more expensive gift is very reasonable IMO than a toddler. It's not "thier money", it is your money that you have budgeted, to spend how you wish on each child. Unless you are writting the prices on each gift so each child knows you spent $200 on them it isn't their concern.

Maybe instead of saying $200 per child for christmas, how about looking at is at $600 for the kids Christmas presants and however it breaks down between the kids so that they each get the "something, want-need-read-play.

MamaNae 11-19-2012 06:39 AM

Thanks!

DS2 got an Imaginext Space Robot police station, it was $50 retail, I spent $17 including shipping through Woot! so it's new and everything. DD is getting a Melissa and Doug Deluxe Puppet theater, retail $90, I spent $45. They're getting GREAT gifts...I just managed to find them half price or less LOL. I also got DD some furniture for her doll house as her 'want' and DS2 is getting a firefighter back pack (works, if you put water in it) he had one and it broke and he was so sad...he loves it so we got him a new one...used Swagbucks Amazon gift cards for all of that.

I'll get their clothes on BF probably so spend 1/2 or less then also.

Nerissa 11-19-2012 06:43 AM

Those are great deals. That back pack sounds awsome totally something DS2 would love. If I got those great of deals some of the money would go to mommy's coffee fund. Since mommy gets cranky shopping and coffee makes mommy happy. Happy mommy means happy family.

Mom2Connor 11-19-2012 06:44 AM

I can see why you are feeling a little bad about this, and if they were all 7 yr old triplets that knew what things cost I think it would honestly be a different story (at least, it would be for me). Some people might still feel the same. But if the kids were old enough to understand the significant cost/price difference, I could see there being some hurt feelings from the other two that one of the children got a much much more expensive gift.

So, that said, since your younger two are only 2 and 4, I do personally think it's ok to spend more on your older son to get him the gift he really wants. The other two are getting their "want" met as well, so the cost isn't relevant in this issue given the age difference.

MamaNae 11-19-2012 06:46 AM

The backpack was $20-something at Amazon :)

And the shopping hasn't made me cranky because so far I've done it in my pjs sitting at my computer LOL...if I had to drive all over creation I'd be annoyed...yay for online shopping!

I just feel 'weird' because like with DS2 I'll have spent MAYBE $50 on him for Christmas...yet I'll be spending close to 5 times that on DS1. DS2 is getting great gifts that I know he'll be over the moon for but still...$50 seems so cheap haha

happysmileylady 11-19-2012 06:53 AM

To me, this is the other side of the "it's the thought that counts" coin. Getting kids the gifts they want and will enjoy is more important than the cost of the gift. If what you got them is something they will love and enjoy and you know that when they open it they will light up, then it doesn't matter that you spent so little on it. You put thought into the gifts, don't get wrapped up in just the $$ aspect.

moonlightblonde 11-19-2012 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2Connor (Post 15948776)
I can see why you are feeling a little bad about this, and if they were all 7 yr old triplets that knew what things cost I think it would honestly be a different story (at least, it would be for me). Some people might still feel the same. But if the kids were old enough to understand the significant cost/price difference, I could see there being some hurt feelings from the other two that one of the children got a much much more expensive gift.

So, that said, since your younger two are only 2 and 4, I do personally think it's ok to spend more on your older son to get him the gift he really wants. The other two are getting their "want" met as well, so the cost isn't relevant in this issue given the age difference.

This! a 4 year old and a 2 year old REALLY aren't going to care about the cost of items.