Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   should I forward face him? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464936)

mrstilly 11-19-2012 08:26 AM

should I forward face him?

DS is 99% for height and weight. Right now at just under 20 months he is 37 pounds. I haven't measured his height in a while but he is just a solid boy all around. DH has a Jetta with a Graco MyRide 65 and I have a Subaru Imprezza with a Britax Boulevard. The carseat goes behind whatever seat I sit in (drivers side in my car and passenger side in DH's car) because DH is super tall and needs his seat all of the way back to fit.

The problem I have right now is that DS keeps getting bigger and I am having a lot of trouble getting him in and out of his seat. He's bumped his head a number of times on the door frame or his foot will catch on the side of the seat as I plop him in. And that's when he's not fighting me. If he doesn't want to get in, it is a HUGE battle and he hit his head hard one day because he was fighting me and there wasn't enough room to get him through the door and into the seat. It is worse with the Britax, which sits a bit higher.

Am I awful for wanting to forward face him? I am very pro-ERFing, but I hate hearing DS say "ow" almost daily when he bumps his head, and fighting with him to get in his seat (about every 4th ride) is exhausting and usually ends up with tears on both of our parts. Plus if I did forward face him, he could move to the middle seat.

Advice?

adjroberts 11-19-2012 08:53 AM

What is the weight limit on your seats for rearfacing? One of my seats the rear-facing weight limit is 35 lbs and front facing is 50 lbs. My other seat has a higher limit though, I don't remember what it is.

mrstilly 11-19-2012 08:55 AM

Re: should I forward face him?

Rear facing weight limit is 40 pounds in both seats.

bottlesnbuttons 11-19-2012 09:27 AM

I turned my daughter a few weeks ago, at almost 20 months (~25lbs), as it was getting really hard to get her in and out, I am 28 weeks pregnant, and she was fighting getting in, and pushing off of the back seat most days. I moved the seat to the middle as well. There was not much wiggle room in our Subaru Forester, with her Britax Marathon, and now she can climb in and out on her own (once I unbuckle her). It is also much easier to hand her things like a water bottle, and she can see out of the front window. I wanted to keep her rear facing longer, but decided to try the switch and see if it helped make things better for the both of us.... and it has. Just my opinion, of course. But, if your son is that big and the process has become cumbersome, I would give it a try now. Good luck!

CASMama711 11-19-2012 09:39 AM

Personally, I would wait until he reaches 40 lbs. and/or age 2.

itiswhatitis1984 11-19-2012 09:47 AM

What if you let him climb into it on his own & then you just have to buckle him. Since its on an end spot what if he climbed in the opposite side and you tell him to get in his seat & you will come around the other side and buckle him up. Maybe make a game of it and see if he can beat you to his seat. If he gets in himself there won't be more head bangs plus it might limit his fighting because he's in control of getting in the seat and you can rear face for a little longer :)

jjordan 11-19-2012 10:29 AM

Can either seat fit in the middle? You probably can't use LATCH to install there, but seatbelt is pretty easy with both of those seats. Then you can lift him up into the car and he can climb into his seat - no more hitting his head. Or if the middle is really not an option, then he can climb into the opposite side of the car from where his seat is.

Be sure that your husband's seat is NOT RECLINED and there will be more room behind it. Also make sure that your child's seats are as upright as possible - on the MyRide you want the most upright allowable angle on the angle indicator. On the Britax it can be as upright as 30* reclined from vertical, which is about 7* more upright than the "level to line" indicator on the side of the seat.

canadianbakers 11-19-2012 11:58 AM

I would FF him when he reaches the limits of the seat.
It is a PITA to get them in and buckled when they're this age. :gah: :giggle:
And right now I'm cringing everytime I have to, because of the snow/muck on his boots! But Levi's still RF in his radian in the van. He is FF in his other seat as of last week (scenera and AIO if we used it) because of height (and he's close to 30lbs anyways) but he rides in that very rarely, maybe once every couple months.

Truckerswife 11-19-2012 02:10 PM

NO he's not over the weight limit keep him RF as long as possible he won't die from occasionally bumping his head keep him RF until 40 pounds

kushie tushie 11-19-2012 02:58 PM

I personally think he's too young to forward face. I would move him to the middle and keep him RFing. He's going to be a beast to get in a carseat at this age no matter what direction he is facing.