Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Anyone NOT like Heart of Dakota??? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464964)

hac1224 11-19-2012 10:03 AM

Anyone NOT like Heart of Dakota???

I've been considering HOD for years and just never taken the plunge. I'm considering it again for next year and would need 2 different guides. I've been reading reviews and rarely if ever have seen a negative review. I just want to be sure I hear both sides if there are any families that didn't like it. Anyone? Who uses it currently and loves it?

Jen's_4 11-19-2012 12:29 PM

Re: Anyone NOT like Heart of Dakota???

I don't know if my vote should count, but I'll give it to you and you can take it or leave it. :goodvibes: First--it should be noted that I don't use the program in a regular homeschool setting. I use it to teach our 0-3 Sunday School class. Second--it should also be noted that I only use the youngest program (Little Hands Toward Heaven, I think), so I don't know anything about the older programs. Now my actual review...I'm not thrilled with it. It just seems kind of disjointed somehow....like it doesn't really flow together very well, kwim? It's not a bad program or anything, I just don't care for it. And again, it may very well be just the preschool program, but based on what I have seen I probably wouldn't purchase it for my kids to use.

snugglebutter 11-19-2012 01:05 PM

I tried the preschool program with my oldest and it was just not a good fit for us. I do love the layout/design of the pages.

Mainly what I have discovered is that I like to put together my own curriculum rather than using something preplanned.

hac1224 11-19-2012 01:11 PM

See I keep trying to put together my own, and it doesn't go well. I'm disorganized and don't find the time to plan like I want. Plus, I'm hoping to find something where I can keep my K & 1st graders together next year since they are only 15 months apart in age. Plus, I think my 3rd grader next year could work independently on some of it. I NEED open and go to stay on track, I think!

HeatherlovesCDs 11-19-2012 01:27 PM

I've never used HOD. So, I really can't say much, but have you considered MFW? One of the reasons I chose MFW over HOD was because of being better able to combine children. You could combine all 3 of your children within a couple of years. Their programs are designed to be able to combine all children 2nd grade to 8th in the core subjects, Bible, history, science. Even younger children are usually combined in too. They all have their own LA and math at their own level.

hac1224 11-19-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs (Post 15950095)
I've never used HOD. So, I really can't say much, but have you considered MFW? One of the reasons I chose MFW over HOD was because of being better able to combine children. You could combine all 3 of your children within a couple of years. Their programs are designed to be able to combine all children 2nd grade to 8th in the core subjects, Bible, history, science. Even younger children are usually combined in too. They all have their own LA and math at their own level.

I ordered it for my oldest DS for 1st and ended up sending him to a charter school the first part of that year. :hide: I sold it before I really had the chance to mess with it at all. :blush: I think I was just looking at the fact I could start combining kids now with HOD, plus it would cost me $200-$300 less for HOD for all 3 for next year if the prices remain the same for both programs. This is why I'm in the researching phase now, though.

3girlymom 11-19-2012 02:04 PM

I've used all the HOD programs from preschool to gr. 8...that would be LHTH thru RTR. I think that covers about 7 of their curriculums.

Before that I used AO Horizons with my oldest, then WTM, then MFW for a few years stopping after ECC.

My dd got bored with MFW. After a few years it was the same format day in and day out. I had to switch. She did learn a lot, just boredom set in hard after a bit and we both needed a change.

I LOVE HOD. In the younger years, it may seem a bit disjointed as the other poster said. My littles weren't too into the poems and silly stuff. I would usually read that every other day. We picked and choose what to do. Overall, the info was solid and at such a young age they were getting in a lot anyways.

For the older children, getting into Bigger and up, there is so much meat. Sometimes you wonder if they pick things up, and they do. That becomes evident when you watch history specials on t.v. and all the sudden your child is rattling off all the info a step or two ahead of the program you're watching. It makes ya feel good to see they are retaining.

You can tweak it as you want. Go half-speed at the times you need to. Whatever. It is nice having the lesson plans all done for you. It is nice having a character trait of the main people in the stories you are reading to be focused on (MFW does not do that) and pull verses that go alongside. It flows nicely.

We don't do all of the history activities, and a few science ones get skipped. You use all household materials for things like this. However, with our food allergies I am not gonna us my expensive flours to make things...and we don't dare buy the gluten filled stuff to use. We'll find alt. things to do, or talk about it, etc. for those activities.

I hemmed and hawwed for a bit over leaving MFW for HOD. Once I did I've never looked back. We've been with HOD for 4-5 years. It's solid. My girls love it and all 3 of them have different personalities and learning styles. It fits them all. It saves mommy the lesson planning time, which is a huge plus.

You can find packages used on various boards, and I've never had a problem selling mine once I'm done. Every year I get to sell one now as my youngest gets done with them.

If you are going to try it, my suggestion is just to get the economy materials, and story time books. Do not get the extension packs. If you find at a later time that you can fit them in, then buy them separately. Also, until my children have been in the middle school grades, we've never had time for DITHOR. I bought it thinking we would, and I should...and it's not a biggie. They read enough on their own that they just needed to do that in the younger grades, not worrying about an extra program for them.

momof2littles 11-19-2012 02:48 PM

I was using LHFHG this summer and decided to switch to SL bc of the 27 reasons to buy sonlight article. My number one reason for switching is the fact that HOD guides tell me (and my kids) how to think instead of letting them wrestle with ideas and form their own opinions (with my guidance, of course). The more I thought about it, the more I wanted my kids to think for themselves (again with my guidance, of course) instead of an unknown author/stranger telling them how to think and telling me exactly what to tell them. I do love hod Christ centered ness and I agree with her theology, but it's too "bossy."

I do love the hands on activities being right there planned out for me but I do love the "authentic" hands on that SL brings...my dd uses her imagination and brings what's she is learning from SL books without me telling her "now pretend youre a princess and find baby Moses."

Also, I'm so turned off by the HOD message boards. They are like one big advertisement. If you are struggling with hod, they suggest you try something else hod related. They don't really SAY that maybe hod isn't right for your family. I had a post removed "due to tone" bc I suggested a poster search on a less biased board to find unbiased reviews of different curriculums.

(and believe me switching mid-HOD-guide was not an easy or quick decision for my family, but I'm glad that we've chosen SL!)

So, I'd say try it and see and I think you can return the guide in 30 days?

ETA I should add that Sonlight presents heavier content at a younger age. The main reason I chose so light is summed up in what another poster said on the sonlight boards: "Sonlight's #10 and #3 goals are to help its customers raise "culturally literate students" and "children with a godly heart for the world".**In reality most of the children of the world aren't as safe and protected as our kids.**And I believe our kids NEED to know that--not to pop their security bubbles and make them anxiety driven people, but so they come to learn that true security is found in Christ.**And so that they develop Christ-like compassion for those around them."

hac1224 11-19-2012 03:04 PM

Thanks for all of the input so far. I will say that Sonlight is not an option for us for a few reasons, but thanks for the info.

3girlymom 11-19-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momof2littles (Post 15950434)
Also, I'm so turned off by the HOD message boards.

I hear ya with this. I don't frequent the boards. I go there some, but generally go without them.

I once posted about Classical Conversations, and wondered how you could incorp it with HOD. Others there do use it, attend that co-op, and merged the two. I got my hand slapped and my posts/thread deleted. A bit overkill, I think. You should be able to talk about things like that on any of the curriculum boards IMHO.

The boards can be very, very helpful. I don't want to discount that side of it.

And, overall the curriculum works for us.

Another note:
Have you looked into Christian Liberty Press at all? Their stuff is very reasonably priced. That is one I've looked at and never tried. We're about 1/2 year off schedule due to family medical stuff. I might do their 8th grade if we do Bob Jones for high school...just to get dd into something transitional after being in HOD for so long. Not sure. Have a lot to think about. She really wants to do the HOD guide that includes modern inventions.