Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   gluten free help quick (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464967)

jbug_4 11-19-2012 10:17 AM

gluten free help quick

I am making pumpkin pie for dd's class party tomorrow. One child in the class has a gluten sensitivity and lactose intolerance. My dd is dairy sensitive, peanut, coconut allergies. I have a diary free recipe I have been using for years but I want to check my ingredients and make sure I don't have any hidden gluten.

canned pumpkin- all gluten free recipes I have seen don't specify gluten free canned pumpkin so I am assuming it all is? I do have fresh pumpkin I can use, but would rather save a step if I can

eggs

Plain Original Soy milk- Great value brand- it is listed as gluten free on their website

McCormick spices- I have both single ingred and pumpkin pie spice- I read that single ingred are gluten free but may be processed on same equipment- Does anybody know (without me calling) if the pumpkin pie spice is ok? or if the single ingred- nutmeg, cloves, allpice, cinnamon- are processed on gluten free equipment?

Sugar- great value brand- anything I need to watch out for here?

I bought gluten free flour to make crust with- its suppose to be cup for cup sub- anything I should know about the flour?

Crisco canola oil- verified on website gluten free

Earth's Balance butter

I already have a gluten free mixing bowl, spoon and measuring cup from the gluten free brownies I made at Halloween. I wish I knew how cautious the family is- I don't know if they watch for same equipment stuff or not. The child is not very confident in what he can and can't eat. He willing ate anything that an adult told him was ok- he said he wasn't sure but they said it was ok so he ate it. I removed anything from his plate that I knew was not ok. He ate my brownies and a few other things that I checked. I have never seen his parents and no one has said anything about me giving him food last time. the teacher knew i was bringing in gluten free stuff for him- thats probably why I got assigned the pie, she knew I'd make sure it would be ok for everybody. I am the only one bringing a sweet.

TIA

aaiya 11-19-2012 10:30 AM

Re: gluten free help quick

Honestly, before I went to the trouble of cooking GF for this kid, I'd make sure they'll eat it. I have a few GF friends who will NOT eat things other people make if they have gluten in their homes because of cross-contamination issues (flour in the air from prior baking projects, etc).

jbug_4 11-19-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaiya (Post 15949410)
Honestly, before I went to the trouble of cooking GF for this kid, I'd make sure they'll eat it. I have a few GF friends who will NOT eat things other people make if they have gluten in their homes because of cross-contamination issues (flour in the air from prior baking projects, etc).

He ate the Halloween stuff. Which isn't saying much since he was completely unsure of what he could and couldn't eat. I am not sure what kind of instructions he has been given, but the teacher has not been given instructions about him not eating anything. I am the only parent that knows he even has an issue and I only know because dd told me. Then I asked the teacher to verify. She thanked me for bringing in something for him and I brought all my labels. As far as what the teacher has been told its fine. I really wish I knew the mother though- I know my dd is not allowed to eat anything unless I approve it first. DD is confident in turning food down and her teacher knows that it is our rule that she doesn't eat anything unless I approve it- regardless of what the parent making it says. But this kid ate everything that was place on his plate- it made me really nervous and I stood close by to remove stuff right away when I knew it was bad.

The Fancy Pansy 11-19-2012 10:48 AM

That all sounds like it should be okay (assuming the pumpkin is JUST pumpkin, it's fine). BUT, the GF flour mix will not make a decent pie crust if substituted in a regular recipe. I can guarrantee it. Find an actual GF pastry recipe online. Pie crusts are hard. GF Pie crusts are....well...they take patience. ;)

Try looking over at the livingwithout.com website. They also have good basic info on GF/DF baking and hidden sources and such.

Vivhop98 11-19-2012 11:06 AM

I am gluten free and all of that sounds fine, but I make mine without crust and it is better, because my gf crust is usually not good!

jbug_4 11-19-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vivhop98 (Post 15949524)
I am gluten free and all of that sounds fine, but I make mine without crust and it is better, because my gf crust is usually not good!

To do it with out crust do you just pour the filling in the pan and cook it? I thought about doing a graham cracker crust because I was afraid the flour would be weird, but the GF graham crackers looked a lot like cardboard.

hmm, maybe I should make him a crustless ramekin of pumpkin pie and make a regular crust for the rest of the class. but then what do i do with this insanely expensive GF flour? I though dairy free and nut free chocolate was expensive- doesn't even come close to the cost of GF stuff. The brownie mix I got for halloween was excellent but close to triple the cost of regular brownie mix- of course part of that was because I added half a bag of good life chocolate chips to them.

The Fancy Pansy 11-19-2012 11:27 AM

You can use the GF flour in a GF recipe. There's probably even a recipe for that brand on their website. It's just the ratios of liquids and such that are a lot different for GF baking.

jbug_4 11-19-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fancy Pansy (Post 15949460)
That all sounds like it should be okay (assuming the pumpkin is JUST pumpkin, it's fine). BUT, the GF flour mix will not make a decent pie crust if substituted in a regular recipe. I can guarrantee it. Find an actual GF pastry recipe online. Pie crusts are hard. GF Pie crusts are....well...they take patience. ;)

Try looking over at the livingwithout.com website. They also have good basic info on GF/DF baking and hidden sources and such.

Thanks, I found a recipe that uses the flour and is pretty close to the recipe I already use so hopefully it goes well. I think I'll bake one unfilled to see how it works before I fill it. If we don't like it I can make a regular for everybody else and do like pp does and make it a mini crustless for him.

jbug_4 11-19-2012 11:33 AM

Thanks ladies! And thank you for the website info. The teacher has an email out to the mama to make sure she is ok with him eating stuff I cook. If she is I will continue to make sure he has good food for all parties. I have never let dd be left out of things because of her food allergies, I would hate for anyone else to be left out.

Vivhop98 11-19-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbug_4 (Post 15949598)
To do it with out crust do you just pour the filling in the pan and cook it? I thought about doing a graham cracker crust because I was afraid the flour would be weird, but the GF graham crackers looked a lot like cardboard.

hmm, maybe I should make him a crustless ramekin of pumpkin pie and make a regular crust for the rest of the class. but then what do i do with this insanely expensive GF flour? I though dairy free and nut free chocolate was expensive- doesn't even come close to the cost of GF stuff. The brownie mix I got for halloween was excellent but close to triple the cost of regular brownie mix- of course part of that was because I added half a bag of good life chocolate chips to them.

Yes, I just pour it in a pie pan with no crust and bake it. I assume you could do it in a mini muffin pan or ramekin. Yes, gluten free flour is expensive. I haven't had a lot of luck with pie crust, but it makes pretty good muffins or quick breads.