Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   3 accross (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465038)

Docs Wife 11-19-2012 12:49 PM

3 accross

I posted this one another board so some of you might see this twice. I need to get 3 across in a Mitsubishi Outlander.

40lb just turned 5 yr old. Will consider a hbb if I need to.

30lb 3 yr old. I am willing to RF or FF at this point.

20lb 21mon old. He is very tiny and will obviously need to RF.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using DS Forum

Pixi6s 11-19-2012 01:48 PM

Re: 3 accross

I was just poking around amazon looking at booster seats. This seat does birth to booster and the last picture shows 3 across in some car (maybe a mini van), but maybe it could work for you.

http://www.amazon.com/Diono-Radian-C...dp/B005MQRAAK/

lilychic4 11-19-2012 09:56 PM

Are you buying all brand new car seats or what seats do you have already to work with?
What's your budget?
What's the shirt size for each kiddo?

The radian is a good narrow seat. But I wouldn't recommend one for your 5yo because the booster is outgrown by height at the same time as the harness and has a 50lb minimum for booster use. Since you're not going to RF the 5-year old, you'd be paying a ton of money for 1/3 of a seat.

The radian is a good narrow seat though that extended RF and harnesses. And it has a very low profile so it "puzzles" well with higher car seats.

If you are buying all new car seats, I'd recommend looking at:
Graco Size4Me (tallest RF shell on the market and 40lb RF limit) in the center for the baby.
Radian R100 RF for the 3yo on the driver side (cup-holder side of S4M). You can get an angle adjuster for $10 separate that will install the Radian more upright for a better fit behind the driver. What year Outlander? Is there a light indicator in the front passenger seat that turns on the airbag depending on the weight in the seat? If not, you can brace the Radian against the seat as hard as you need to. If there is an advanced airbag, you should be able to install the Radian lightly touching the front driver seat.
Evenflo Maestro for the 5yo. It will harness to a shoulder height of 18" or weight of 50lbs. The Maestro does become a high-back booster as well, but the booster is outgrown at the same time as the harness. So I'd harness as long as the Maestro fits (bonus for being able to test out maturity in booster mode before it's outgrown) and then get a Graco high back turbo-booster in a few years.

The S4M and Radian should last your younger kiddos until booster age/maturity.
Radian and Size4Me fit well side by side with both RF, but not so well with the S4M FFing; fairly well with the Radian FF and the S4M RF; and well with them both forward. So you may want to swap seats when you're ready for your middle to FF.

~~~

If you can't afford a Radian for the baby, a Cosco Scenera (RF for baby) puzzles well on the cupholder side of a FF Size4Me for the 3yo. [I hate to recommend a car seat that Rf and FF to be used only FF, but it should last your middle child to booster age.] The Maestro for 5yo then puzzles okay on the non-cupholder side of the FF Size4Me if you put some pressure on it for a tight install.
Maestro puzzles a little with the Scenera as well if you wanted to put the baby in the middle.

lilychic4 11-19-2012 10:12 PM

This is legit as well.
http://www.amazon.com/Safe-Traffic-S...er+travel+vest
It may be something to consider for your 5yo. A little more expensive than the Maestro, but it's very comfy for kiddos and tested for safety. Not so practical for quick in/out if you do the car line at school, but definitely the most narrow. I'd trust any FF child within the weight limits.

Docs Wife 11-20-2012 06:29 AM

Right now the older two are in Safety 1st complete air, and the baby is in the Safety 1st OnBoard 35. The problem I am having is the back seat is Very narrow. The older two are fine in the seats they are in but the baby is out growing the infant seat. I can not find a seat that is narrow enough that I can switch him to. Ohh and it is a 2011.

lilychic4 11-20-2012 06:44 AM

Okay, that's very helpful to know.
In a 2011 vehicle, car seats may only gently touch the vehicle seats in front. You should be able to easily slide a piece of paper through without scrunching it up much between the RF car seat and vehicle front seat.

The Complete Airs are about 19" wide at the front base. The OnBoard is about 17" wide.
The CAs aren't the best for puzzling together because they have a high side profile but not a narrow base under them. The Radian is about 17" wide, so if your infant carrier fits the Radian should fit.
Financially it would make the most sense to pass one CA to baby and get a combo seat for the oldest. But my brain isn't coming up with anything right this minute.

Let me have some coffee and come back to this :)

lilychic4 11-20-2012 08:07 AM

Evenflo SecureKid 300 / 400 for your 5yo should be perfect. Keep the younger 2 RF in the CA seats. That should puzzle well. I haven't tried the combo personally, but the shape of the shells should create an extra few inches for you.

Do you have a babies r us or BuyBuy baby near you that you can try the seats in your car before buying? No obligation to buy from those stores, but they will allow you to try any seats in your car.

Docs Wife 11-20-2012 09:46 AM

I forgot to mention that the Complete Airs that I have are the "LX" (I think) model, the one that does sit on a base. It has a handle in the front that has to be pulled inorder to adjust the recline level.

Thank you so much for your help.