Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transaction & Feedback Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Smoke free home (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465113)

Tabatha 11-19-2012 04:42 PM

Smoke free home

Is it misleading to say smoke free home if you have a smoker in the house but they NEVER smoke in the house and take extra care not to get smoke inside? He doesn't smoke near the door and takes off jacket outside, washes hands and face as soon as he gets inside. So there's no possible way that smoke could get on any of my items. Do I explain that? It seems like a lot. Does smoke free home just mean that no one smokes inside?

Hillargh 11-19-2012 04:46 PM

I'm a smoker, and no matter how many times I brush my teeth, wash my face and hands, change clothes, nothing but a shower removes the smell off of me, and nothing but washing my clothes removes it off of them. You don't smell it, because you're used to it. But it will be there. I promise you, it IS there. And it can be noticeable to those that don't have any smokers around them.

I would not say smoke-free home unless no one in your home smokes. It's not like saying pet free home because your dog lives outside.

ETA: I don't smoke in my car, and it still has a mild smoke smell to those that don't smoke, for example.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Queen_Celeste 11-19-2012 04:49 PM

Re: Smoke free home

I am sensitive to smoke, so no that is not the same. I would just post 'outside smoker' or something to that effect in the listings.

Tabatha 11-19-2012 04:51 PM

Okay thank you. I thought it seemed misleading but I wasn't sure how other people define it. I'll put outside smoker

qsefthuko 11-19-2012 04:53 PM

You are not a smoke free home. Not even a totally different outfit following a shower and brushing teeth makes him smoke free. The smoke enters
The lungs and is then breathed out. For someone with severe smoke allergies this could possibly present a problem.

In your situation I would probably sat something like our smoker smokes outside only and washes hands when returning to the house. As a buyer I would appreciate being allowed to decide if this minimal amount of exposure was an issue for me prior to buying.

I_run_with_scissors 11-19-2012 05:05 PM

Yes i think it would be misleading to say you are a smoke free home, I would put something like "we only smoke outside" so that buyers are aware, items might still smell of smoke even if you dont smoke inside

bigmamakelsey 11-19-2012 05:17 PM

I agree. Outsider smoker is better. My dad smokes and even though it's not in the house and I can't smell much while I'm there visiting, all of our clothes smell faintly like smoke when we get back to our house. It has a strong odor.

BinahYeteirah 11-19-2012 07:04 PM

I totally get what everyone is saying about the smell of smoke that a smoker brings with him, even if he doesn't smoke in a given place. I just wonder, then, how anything could be truly smoke free. Even when you buy something brand new from a store, it seems likely that it has been repeatedly exposed to smokers in the process of manufacture, distribution, and sale.

sandhillcranes 11-19-2012 10:02 PM

Im super sensitive to smoke. I hate the smell. I do think it sticks to stuff without people knowing. There is a post office here and I used to swear they smoked in it. Well, I shipped a purse once and the mama said it smelled like smoke. I quit using that PO bc NO ONE here smokes and the bag came from my mil (her sis died of cancer and she is a die hard non smoker). So yeah, I would probably put "outside smoker" if you feel it needs mentioning. In my many many transactions Ive had ONE diaper cover show up smelling of smoke. Not too bad and I bet there are plenty of women whose hubbys smoke outisde. So I dont necessarily think it would turn a buyer off..but its better to disclose everything.

mamajoe 11-20-2012 08:13 PM

I would also prob mention that it is your DH that smokes, not you. As a buyer this would make a difference to me as i would assume you are the one handling and packaging the items :)