Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   I am going crazy (death mentioned) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465149)

Geckmumto3 11-19-2012 06:38 PM

I am going crazy (death mentioned)

The anniversary of my mother's death is coming up. I don't dwell on it (I try not to), but I am one to remember dates. For the last week or two I have smelled her perfume at the oddest times and in the oddest places. It's not a perfume I particularly like. I don't have any in the house, in fact I don't think her perfume has ever been in this house because we moved well after she died. I did keep a bottle for a time, but pitched it when we moved. I have not rifled through anything sentimental, which might have disturbed some scent in an item. I am smelling it at home, in the car and out and about as well. Tonight, I smelled it while standing at the dance studio, waiting for DD to come out of her dance class. Possibly someone else was wearing it, but the other times?

I know scent memory is strong, but this is insanity. :headscratch:

BoyCrazy 11-19-2012 07:00 PM

Re: I am going crazy (death mentioned)

Smelling the perfume would freak me out too! Sorry about your mother's passing. I hope you can get through this anniversary with peace and comfort.

MatildasMum 11-19-2012 07:09 PM

That happened to my mother when her mother passed. She finally realized that she had a candle on the side table in the same scent as her mother's perfume AND my mother had a small sample of the perfume in the very bottom of her purse which she forgot about.

:hugs:

LittleABC 11-19-2012 07:18 PM

Hugs. Many hugs.

Hillargh 11-19-2012 07:25 PM

If I close my eyes and breathe in deeply, I can smell my grandmother. She's been gone for 7 years and 4 days. :hugs: mama.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

jam's mum 11-19-2012 08:27 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. This happens to my mum as well; I haven't smelled her perfume without smelling it if you know what I mean but it's very distinctive, so it's a big deal to my mother. I like to think of my Granny wafting round her and through her.

B+EBabyDipes 11-19-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geckmumto3
The anniversary of my mother's death is coming up. I don't dwell on it (I try not to), but I am one to remember dates. For the last week or two I have smelled her perfume at the oddest times and in the oddest places. It's not a perfume I particularly like. I don't have any in the house, in fact I don't think her perfume has ever been in this house because we moved well after she died. I did keep a bottle for a time, but pitched it when we moved. I have not rifled through anything sentimental, which might have disturbed some scent in an item. I am smelling it at home, in the car and out and about as well. Tonight, I smelled it while standing at the dance studio, waiting for DD to come out of her dance class. Possibly someone else was wearing it, but the other times?

I know scent memory is strong, but this is insanity. :headscratch:

I don't think your crazy at all! I just think your mom is still watching over you;)

UnderTheStars 11-19-2012 10:16 PM

:hugs: I think memories can manifest in a lot of ways and when you are thinking about someone you miss a lot, it is easier to pay closer attention to details about them you might otherwise miss. I'm not positive if I believe in ghosts/spirits but I've had a lot of interesting encounters involving my grandpa who passed away 10 years ago that sound very similar to what you're describing...maybe there is more to it?

Geckmumto3 11-20-2012 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatildasMum (Post 15951410)
That happened to my mother when her mother passed. She finally realized that she had a candle on the side table in the same scent as her mother's perfume AND my mother had a small sample of the perfume in the very bottom of her purse which she forgot about.

:hugs:

That is exactly what I thought, but no... New purse with next to nothing in it and nothing that smells like her. I can almost taste it sometimes it is so strong.

Thanks, mamas. :hugs: I wanted to multi-quote everyone. It has been 6 years this year, and I am in very a different place, finally. I don't disagree that she may be watching over me, but I wish I knew what she was trying to tell me.

Geckmumto3 11-20-2012 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seeinstarrz (Post 15952001)
:hugs: I think memories can manifest in a lot of ways and when you are thinking about someone you miss a lot, it is easier to pay closer attention to details about them you might otherwise miss. I'm not positive if I believe in ghosts/spirits but I've had a lot of interesting encounters involving my grandpa who passed away 10 years ago that sound very similar to what you're describing...maybe there is more to it?

What ever happened with the picture? I have been thinking of you... Not to hijack my own thread, :giggle: but it is kind of the same topic).