Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   TTC - Trying To Conceive (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   Update in post #33- Does OB's plan sound right? How can I go the natural route? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465191)

Dani_Phen 11-19-2012 10:22 PM

Update in post #33- Does OB's plan sound right? How can I go the natural route?
 
I've posted before but Backstory:

We got preggo with DS NTNP in 2010 less than 2 months after we decided to stop using birth control and take our chances. Had him in July 2011. Late November 2011 I had a period then we started NTNP. In December we decided to just full out try. After a few visits the Dr said I have Ogli Ammenorreah (sp) and I'd probably end up needing to go on BC to jumpstart Ovulation. We declined because...well, with DS it only took a month or 2.

We'd been trying 5 months and I thought I might be preggo so I made an appt to be checked out and get tested. Negative. OB suggested provera and clomid. I said, "no. let's wait. it's only been 5 months." Tested daily for ovulation and started drinking fertilitea and taking vitex supplements. FINALLY in mid/late August I got a positive for O. Tried and Tried. Second week of September, I got a faint bfp. Hubby and I were so excited. Waited 2 days and tested again. BFP. YES. 2 days later...negative. What? So I called my OB and she told me that I probably had a chemical pregnancy. Said to wait a week and come in if it was still negative. I went in a week later and she tested me and said that if I started to bleed it was a chemical. 2 days later I started bleeding. My first period since Nov 2011. All throughout the end of September to the last week of October I was tested for various things and all in all I got my blood drawled 5 times, had 1 u/s and was in her office 3...or 4 times. OB decided I have Ogli-ammenorreah...A year after diagnosing it the first time. She had forgotten. Wasn't it in the records?? Anyway, she told me that if I didn't get a BFP before November 1st to come in for a blood pregnancy test and then she wanted me to start a round of provera/clomid. Did as told and it was negative so I started provera. It's been two weeks and I haven't bled out yet.

Today:
I called OB to ask if this was normal. Not bleeding. She had to call me back and when she did she told me that she had discussed it with another OB and did more research and they believe I am "too thin" and don't have enough "body fat". ETA: I am kind of thin but I am NOT by any means a skinny minnie. She explained that body fat retains estrogen and I need estrogen to help thicken my lining and my lining is not thickening enough for a bleed out. She then explained that she wants me to start a form of BC with an estrogen base called Necon for a month. Also wants me to take estradol 3 times a day and a suppository of endometrin 100. THEN by January and by the time I bleed we can start clomid. :banghead: I kind of feel like they are making things up as they go and they really have no idea what's wrong with me...

Does this sound right?? I don't want all that in my system! I don't do BC pills well (mood-wise) and I really don't want to try this. It makes me nervous. I'd like to start doing a natural fertility plan again and go from there. I just don't feel comfortable with this. Suggestions? What would you do? What are some natural fertility booster supplements I can take?

BeccaSueCongdon 11-19-2012 10:37 PM

My first question would be to ask what your body fat percentage is. You can get it tested for free at most gyms, and there are little hand-held gadgets to test it. I wouldn't buy the "not enough body fat" thing without that information. With that information. Then I'd go from there.

BeccaSueCongdon 11-19-2012 10:39 PM

BtW: her logic makes sense regarding body far and estrogen. But I'd want to confirm that that is indeed the issue before I'd hop on bc. And if you're open to increasing your body fat (if necessary) that could *maybe?* be a way to get things going. But I'm mostly thinking hypothetically and am not sure how long it'd take.

Dani_Phen 11-19-2012 10:42 PM

Re: Need Help. Does OB's plan sound right? How can I go the natural route?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon (Post 15951877)
My first question would be to ask what your body fat percentage is. You can get it tested for free at most gyms, and there are little hand-held gadgets to test it. I wouldn't buy the "not enough body fat" thing without that information. With that information. Then I'd go from there.

I already know. My body fat percentage is 32 (point something) % so it's not like I'm extremely thin...I mean to be a normal/average weight I would need to lose 2 more inches from my tummy.

ETA: I have more body fat on me than I did before conceiving DS. I weighed 120 before I conceived him...same height, same everything else. Now I weight 131 and have a higher body fat percentage...That's where I'm confused also.

KelseyH 11-19-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dani_Phen

I already know. My body fat percentage is 32 (point something) % so it's not like I'm extremely thin...I mean to be a normal/average weight I would need to lose 2 more inches from my tummy.

I would think that is more than sufficient. My body fat hovers around 14%, and apparently that's been enough because the two times I've ovulated since I've been with DH, I've gotten pregnant.

I don't know a TON about herbs, but there is a group I am part of on fb that I would be happy to add you to. The ladies are all very knowledgable :) pm me your name/email if you want and I can friend request you and add you to the group.

Dani_Phen 11-19-2012 11:07 PM

Re: Need Help. Does OB's plan sound right? How can I go the natural route?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KelseyH (Post 15951910)
I would think that is more than sufficient. My body fat hovers around 14%, and apparently that's been enough because the two times I've ovulated since I've been with DH, I've gotten pregnant.

I don't know a TON about herbs, but there is a group I am part of on fb that I would be happy to add you to. The ladies are all very knowledgable :) pm me your name/email if you want and I can friend request you and add you to the group.

Exactly why I'm so confused. I had a lot less fat and got preggo with DS 2 years ago...It just doesn't make sense. Thanks! Will do.

BeccaSueCongdon 11-19-2012 11:12 PM

32% sounds sufficient. But I'm also not an OB or a medical person. :-)

If it were me, I'd start by explaining to the OB that I'm a little overwhelmed by the number of interventions all piled together, and that before I'd feel comfortable moving forward with those options, I need to understand the situation much more clearly. And I'd ask her for resources on understanding the condition she thinks you have, ask if there is a way to confirm her diagnosis or if its one that's only confirmed by seeing your body respond to treatment. I'd ask her for literature on the risks of these interventions, information on the benefits, and ask what could happen if you and your partner waited for six months and kept trying other options before you go this route.

Then once you've felt satisfied that you've exhausted the other options you want to try, and that you have the information you need, you might have a different perspective on this option. If you even still need it. :-)

How have you been tracking your cycles? Have you been charting your cervical mucous and waking temp? Six months worth of that sort of data would be very enlightening. The "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" book is a great one if you don't already know about it.

Dani_Phen 11-19-2012 11:24 PM

Re: Need Help. Does OB's plan sound right? How can I go the natural route?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon (Post 15951993)
32% sounds sufficient. But I'm also not an OB or a medical person. :-)

If it were me, I'd start by explaining to the OB that I'm a little overwhelmed by the number of interventions all piled together, and that before I'd feel comfortable moving forward with those options, I need to understand the situation much more clearly. And I'd ask her for resources on understanding the condition she thinks you have, ask if there is a way to confirm her diagnosis or if its one that's only confirmed by seeing your body respond to treatment. I'd ask her for literature on the risks of these interventions, information on the benefits, and ask what could happen if you and your partner waited for six months and kept trying other options before you go this route.

Then once you've felt satisfied that you've exhausted the other options you want to try, and that you have the information you need, you might have a different perspective on this option. If you even still need it. :-)

How have you been tracking your cycles? Have you been charting your cervical mucous and waking temp? Six months worth of that sort of data would be very enlightening. The "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" book is a great one if you don't already know about it.


I've asked a ton of questions but it just seems like she's trying to push medication on me. We were just starting to try and she told me I'd probably need medication to conceive. I ignored and we started trying. 5 months in we didn't get a positive and she was wanting to start me on fertility meds. I wanted to wait b/c really....5 months isn't terribly long. The end of November marks a full year of TTC and she started me on meds by pushing and pushing and pushing until I finally agreed on November 5th. She got flustered and acted like I was from space when I asked about going a more natural route and then she ignored my question and went on to say, "so this is what we're going to do....start provera Nov 5 after you have a blood preg test on the 1st and it's negative....we are pretty sure of this because you didn't ovulate in October (by way of low progest in bloodwork)." She acts like my opinions don't matter and she's the expert so that's what I'm to do.

I use opk's. I've no idea how to track my cycles. I know a little about cervical mucous and nothing about charting temp. I've heard of but never read that book. I'll check into it. Thanks

keen1981 11-19-2012 11:28 PM

What's weird is I could NOT get clomid or anything even after years of trying and 70 day cycles. It's so weird how different drs work.

BeccaSueCongdon 11-19-2012 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keen1981
What's weird is I could NOT get clomid or anything even after years of trying and 70 day cycles. It's so weird how different drs work.

Totally.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors