Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Would you... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465203)

kcassemom 11-19-2012 11:25 PM

Would you...

Respond to a Craigslist ad asking for help buying a single mom's 4 year old daughter a few gifts for Christmas, if they agree to meet in person with the child there?

keen1981 11-19-2012 11:27 PM

No. I would recommend they seek a church. or school program. People scam constantly. And use kids too. It's no joke.

AcrossTheUniverse 11-19-2012 11:29 PM

Re: Would you...

No. I would send them an e-mail with info for programs in your area (Toys for Tots, Churches, etc...). If I felt compelled to give I would give to one of those organization as they have a system in place for ensuring the items make it to those who truly need them.

somo_chickenlady 11-19-2012 11:29 PM

I agree. While I would feel bad if she truly cannot afford gifts for her daughter, you never know if she will just return them or sell them for the money. :(

jacquelinemarie82 11-19-2012 11:32 PM

I wouldn't mind if the person was asking for inexpensive items or second hand items. kwim? But if they have a long list or wanting expensive things that I wouldn't even buy for my own daughter than no.... you can get a feel for a person so I say go with your gut. Make sure you do not give out your phone number or address or name though....never know when someone will show up asking for more handouts. Serious on that one.

But if it was someone that was just wanting some little things for their kid to be able to unwrap then I wouldn't mind. Like coloring book, pair of jammies, candy for the stocking, maybe an lower price toy.

Weird for someone to be asking before Thanksgiving though...

Only 11-19-2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keen1981
No. I would recommend they seek a church. or school program. People scam constantly. And use kids too. It's no joke.

This.

People are low, and will use children for anything. Sad.

Rainfall 11-19-2012 11:49 PM

No. Only because I DID a few years ago and think I got scammed. :(

A mom on CL posted about needing help for presents for her two kids, a boy and a girl. I messaged her and she was super thankful via email and gave me interests for her kids. Very chatty with me back and forth, very open and communicative. I went out and bought a couple of gifts for them and wrapped them all up pretty and even got something for the mom. Set up a time to meet her. When I met her in person, she was totally stand off-ish and barely said two words to me. She didn't even say thank you (only via emails back and forth before the meet up) and wouldn't hardly even LOOK at me. I never saw her kids, but it was supposed to be a secret thing so that the gifts would be from her anyway, so it wasn't the lack of kids that had me feeling uneasy. The whole meet up with her was so...odd. She seemed really, really shady somehow. I just got an icky vibe from it. Maybe she was embarrassed to have needed the help? That's what I've been telling myself so I didn't feel like I got burned. Either way I guess if she sold the items, she must have needed the money so I still feel like I hopefully helped her that year.

But never again off of CL. If one of my mom-to-mom friends posts about knowing someone in need, maybe. But I think I will stick to people I know or an organization.

PajammaGramma 11-20-2012 12:14 AM

Probably not. Too many scammers out there.

raymark 11-20-2012 12:29 AM

No way

my2sweets 11-20-2012 06:46 AM

Nope.