Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Moms of Many or Multiples (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Starting whole milk! What do you do? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465368)

Puffy Bums 11-20-2012 12:36 PM

Starting whole milk! What do you do?

We have twin 10 month old girls. Our Dr. said to start adding whole milk to their bottles, now that they're almost 11 months. He said add 1/4 for a few days, then 1/2...3/4...etc.

What do you do about toting around whole milk? My wife mentioned that we might have to bring a cooler around with us.

Any ideas?

bluedaisyma 11-20-2012 12:46 PM

Re: Starting whole milk! What do you do?

I have heard (I assume they are on formula) that babies on formula need formula for at least the 1st year, NOT whole milk. If you are already bringing bottles of formula with you, it's no different if it's formula plus milk...wouldn't they need to be in a cooler? (I don't know about those things, though). If the babies are breastfed they don't need whole milk at all right now either.

CountryChicMama 11-20-2012 12:49 PM

To be honest, I don't. When my oldest two were younger, milk was given at home, water was given when out and about. We also didn't put it in bottles, but sippy cups. We had introduced cups of water with meals at around 7mo, so by the time they reached a year old and we started milk, we just put it in a cup.

Puffy Bums 11-20-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluedaisyma (Post 15953814)
I have heard (I assume they are on formula) that babies on formula need formula for at least the 1st year, NOT whole milk. If you are already bringing bottles of formula with you, it's no different if it's formula plus milk...wouldn't they need to be in a cooler? (I don't know about those things, though). If the babies are breastfed they don't need whole milk at all right now either.

We use powder formula, so just bring bottles with water in it and add the powder to the bottles when feeding.

It is going to take a month to transition to just whole milk, that's why our Dr. said to start with 1/4 and work up.

He is really pro-active, and we like that. We started feeding them what we ate at 6 months.

raisingcropsandbabies 11-20-2012 12:54 PM

I switched my kids to milk at 1 yr old. I also wean off the bottle and they are off it at that first birthday (I mainly just hate washing bottles). So I start putting raw milk in their sippy cups at one and if we are out and about, they get water.

abunchoflemons 11-20-2012 12:55 PM

If u got packs with diaper bags use those or pump pak that u put expressed milk in. Or little lunch box that's mushy would work & just take with & then use those for food when they get there.

momma_dna 11-20-2012 01:03 PM

Babies aren't supposed to starting getting cows milk until they are one year old, this recommendation comes from the AAP and WHO. They should be given only breast milk or formula until then as cows milk doesn't contain the fat and vitamins that their brain and growing bodies need. I recommend waiting till one year old and then slowly transitioning with a sippy. While out just water with meals. There is no need to rush the cows milk. Most pediatricians just recommend switching around a year old because children can start getting the vitamins and fats they need from other foods and formula is expensive. My son didn't like cows milk and now at 18mo is starting to like it. He eats lots of cheese though and is still getting my milk.

CountryChicMama 11-20-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puffy Bums (Post 15953836)
We use powder formula, so just bring bottles with water in it and add the powder to the bottles when feeding.

It is going to take a month to transition to just whole milk, that's why our Dr. said to start with 1/4 and work up.

He is really pro-active, and we like that. We started feeding them what we ate at 6 months.

How many bottles are they still getting a day? I ask, b/c even at their age, breastmilk and formula is still considered to be the primary source of nutrition. Cow's milk in no way compares nutritionally to breastmilk or formula, that's why most will suggest you continue with the formula. If you go ahead and start the transition, I would suggest only transitioning a few of their feedings right now and maybe the others later. Plus, let's say they're taking 5-6ounce bottles of formula, I wouldn't necessarily let them have 5-6 ounce bottles of milk, kwim?

ashley84 11-20-2012 01:16 PM

I would really do your own research before you make the switch. I made the transition very slowly. At a year, he was still nursing 3 times and getting 1 bottle of formula every day. I started introducing a bottle of whole milk every day, in addition to his bottle of formula, somewhere between 12-13 months. He self-weaned from the breast at 13.5 months. I still kept him on a bottle of formula every day until he was around 18 months. I really believe they need that extra nutrition for at least that long. The WHO recommends that babies get breastmilk until they reach age 2. Why should it be any different with formula? I think most people transition early just to save money. There is no medical reason to transition early that I know of.

Puffy Bums 11-20-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momma_dna (Post 15953895)
Babies aren't supposed to starting getting cows milk until they are one year old, this recommendation comes from the AAP and WHO. They should be given only breast milk or formula until then as cows milk doesn't contain the fat and vitamins that their brain and growing bodies need. I recommend waiting till one year old and then slowly transitioning with a sippy. While out just water with meals. There is no need to rush the cows milk. Most pediatricians just recommend switching around a year old because children can start getting the vitamins and fats they need from other foods and formula is expensive. My son didn't like cows milk and now at 18mo is starting to like it. He eats lots of cheese though and is still getting my milk.

This recommendation from the AAP is mainly because CM lacks the proper amounts of iron and Vit C, and can irritate the stomach during times of diarrhea.

We are only introducing CM into their diet, not using it as a source of Vitamins and minerals. We feed them enough fish and meat to not have to worry about iron-based deficiencies. Also, if they do get diarrhea, we can limit the CM intake.

The AAP also says there are more benefits than risks in male circumcision. Notice they do not look at adult males that were circumcised, and explore their physical and physiological side effects.

We are both in the medical field, and have developed studies, and have come to take them with a grain of salt.