Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Probiotic for young infant? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465548)

nonipie 11-20-2012 10:16 PM

Probiotic for young infant?

My poor newbie got strep and had to get some antibiotics. What probiotic can I give to an EBF 2 month old? I also had to have some and am taking a daily probiotic but I don't know if that is enough for him. Any suggestions?

navywifeq 11-20-2012 10:40 PM

I use the Jaro Baby probiotics for my son. It is a powder and you can just put some on your nipples before you feed him. My pediatrician recommend them when I had to be on IV antibiotics for a uterine infection post-partum. If you do get that brand make sure whoever you order from ships them in a cold pack, they are not shelf stable, need to stay cool. I ordered them from iherb I think. Hope your LO feels better soon!

Erinne 11-20-2012 10:51 PM

Re: Probiotic for young infant?

I think what we had was called babybiotics, it's a powder we got a whole foods. If your nipples are still sensitive, though, don't let the baby nurse it off, it feels like rubbing salt in a wound! We just wet our fingers, stuck the powder to them, and let dd suck it off.

EmilytheStrange 11-20-2012 10:59 PM

We used BioGaia liquid. It had to be refrigerated and most pharmacies don't keep it in stock but can order it quickly.

I started pretty early cause it was before DH deployed when she was 8 weeks.

luvsviola 11-20-2012 11:21 PM

DS's pediatric GI recommends Florastor. You can get it at CVS. We put it in applesauce and sometimes in his formula. The capsules just come open and you dump out the contents. We do it twice a day.

twinpossible 11-20-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navywifeq (Post 15955803)
I use the Jaro Baby probiotics for my son. It is a powder and you can just put some on your nipples before you feed him. My pediatrician recommend them when I had to be on IV antibiotics for a uterine infection post-partum. If you do get that brand make sure whoever you order from ships them in a cold pack, they are not shelf stable, need to stay cool. I ordered them from iherb I think. Hope your LO feels better soon!

I used the same brand for my twins, I bought it from Whole Foods.

nonipie 11-21-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navywifeq (Post 15955803)

Thank you! I was able to find some at Whole Foods this morning and I did it just like you said no problems.

whiteyacht 11-21-2012 12:02 PM

We use nature's way children's. It's a powder and is refrigerated.

---
Sent from my phone. Please excuse typos.