Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   help with turkey (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465580)

DalesWidda 11-21-2012 05:28 AM

help with turkey

Ok, I've never made a turkey. :blush: I have a disposable pan, bag, and turkey. What do I do? LOL Please tell me I don't have to stick my hand in it. And I don't have a meat thermometer.

Help!

aimeeturd 11-21-2012 06:20 AM

You'll need to take out the neck & the giblets that are inside. Put the disposable pan on a large cookie sheet so that its more stable. Bake it at 325 degrees for 15 minutes per pound and it should be done. It is completely thawed, right?

DalesWidda 11-21-2012 06:56 AM

Re: help with turkey

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimeeturd (Post 15956328)
You'll need to take out the neck & the giblets that are inside. Put the disposable pan on a large cookie sheet so that its more stable. Bake it at 325 degrees for 15 minutes per pound and it should be done. It is completely thawed, right?

I think so :blush:

Rockinmama24 11-21-2012 06:57 AM

Yup, you have to stick a hand in it. Say a quick prayer right before that you bought one where the giblets & neck are in a bag & not loose. Toss it in the pan on a cookie sheet like pp said & rub the skin with butter. Add some water in the bottom of the pan for basting. I baste every half hour or so. When it gets brown tent it with foil.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Heather8183 11-21-2012 06:59 AM

If you put it in the bag you shouldn't have to baste, but you probably won't get a golden brown skin. I agree with the pp, don't forget to put the disposable pan onto a cookie sheet! they're pretty flimsy and you'll loose your bird! lol

DalesWidda 11-21-2012 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockinmama24 (Post 15956423)
Yup, you have to stick a hand in it. Say a quick prayer right before that you bought one where the giblets & neck are in a bag & not loose. Toss it in the pan on a cookie sheet like pp said & rub the skin with butter. Add some water in the bottom of the pan for basting. I baste every half hour or so. When it gets brown tent it with foil.

I have a bag for it to go in. Do I still have to baste it then?

And if the parts aren't in a bag inside can't I just leave them there?

~happy2Bamommy~ 11-21-2012 07:00 AM

Poultry with bones grosses me out.
You can wear gloves while dealing with it :thumbsup:

It does have to be thawed.

I pull out the little bag that has giblets in it and the neck. We don't eat those.

I rinse the bird inside and out really well.

I raise the skin over the breast up a little and put little pats of butter and slices of onion under the skin. I stuff and onion in the cavity of the turkey along with more butter. I rub a little oil over the breast area and then sprinkle the bird with Rosemary OR vegesal/salt and then bake.

Yummy!

I have baked one breast side down before.I was told that made the meat better. I think it did but I ended up going back to breast side up.

~happy2Bamommy~ 11-21-2012 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DalesWidda (Post 15956433)

You don't have to baste. Just be sure you add a little flour to your bag and shake it before adding the bird. I do get a really nice crunchy skin on mine using the bag and it results in a more flavorful bird IMHO (we eat a lot of turkey as a chicken is too small for our family. I have 8 in the freezer right now,lol)

I do pull out the giblets and neck because the thought of cooking them with the bird grosses me out for some reason. I use teh broth to make gravy and I don't want the neck and giblet juices in it (though giblet gravy is said to be wonderful!)

Rockinmama24 11-21-2012 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DalesWidda

If you cook in a bag then no basting. You can not leave the parts in there.

DalesWidda 11-21-2012 07:02 AM

WHY am I making a turkey! I am not cut out for this! Gah!:cry:

I should have gotten a ham instead. :giggle: