Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Special Needs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Gift for speech therapist? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465668)

nicolemariep 11-21-2012 11:47 AM

Gift for speech therapist?

My son (2) has been seeing the same speech therapist for over 6 months. We love her and she's done a great job with my son. I want to give her a little something for Christmas, but I'm at a loss of what to get. I honestly don't know her super well since, though I spend and hour a week with her, that time is dedicated to talking with/about my son.

So, 1) It's not inappropriate/unprofessional to give therapists gifts is it?

AND 2) What should I get her?

ralenth 11-21-2012 12:10 PM

Re: Gift for speech therapist?

My kids have therapists through the schools, and I have given them Christmas gifts in the past, usually iTunes gift cards (speech last year was looking for stuff like that to put kid/speech friendly games on their iPad. I've also given the Dunkin donuts gift cards, or other similar, small sized gifts. I try to get the kids involved, if possible, as it is their gifts.

mibarra 11-21-2012 12:10 PM

As a therapist I always appreciate gifts, though they always surprise me. Unexpected, but not inappropriate ;)

Gift cards are always nice if you're unsure, Target, Starbucks, etc. My favorite gift ever was a gift card in a homemade card with the child's handprints on the front :)

808mamaof3 11-21-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mibarra (Post 15957526)
As a therapist I always appreciate gifts, though they always surprise me. Unexpected, but not inappropriate ;)

Gift cards are always nice if you're unsure, Target, Starbucks, etc. My favorite gift ever was a gift card in a homemade card with the child's handprints on the front :)

Ditto here.

I definitely don't expect anything, but always appreciate whatever is given esp. homemade treats and giftcards. iTunes gift cards go toward iPad apps for the my students and my favorite was a homemade triple choco cake with choco dipped strawberries on top. I was so very thanksful and it was delicious!

luvsviola 11-21-2012 12:22 PM

I have done fancy brownie mix and a Target card, and my mom baked ours banana bread one year (we knew her super well, since she was in our home 2 times a week from 3 months to 3 years old).

ollie_mama 11-27-2012 08:08 PM

I give my daughters therapists little "teacher" gifts. Last year I got them each a reusable drinking cup (the kind with the lid and the straw, KWIM?) and filled them with candies, drink mix packets and a mini bottle of hand sanitizer. It was super cute. (thanks Pinterest!)

newmommy13 11-27-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollie_mama
I give my daughters therapists little "teacher" gifts. Last year I got them each a reusable drinking cup (the kind with the lid and the straw, KWIM?) and filled them with candies, drink mix packets and a mini bottle of hand sanitizer. It was super cute. (thanks Pinterest!)

Haha I did this for all dds therapists and teachers last year. All 9 of them!

konmom 11-29-2012 09:23 PM

Last year, for my son's speech therapist, I've made her super soft scarf - wool/silk blend in very delicate green. She loved it!
This year I need to think again ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolemariep (Post 15957457)
My son (2) has been seeing the same speech therapist for over 6 months. We love her and she's done a great job with my son. I want to give her a little something for Christmas, but I'm at a loss of what to get. I honestly don't know her super well since, though I spend and hour a week with her, that time is dedicated to talking with/about my son.

So, 1) It's not inappropriate/unprofessional to give therapists gifts is it?

AND 2) What should I get her?