Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Carseat off-gassing/toxicity info? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465918)

aaiya 11-22-2012 08:31 PM

Carseat off-gassing/toxicity info?

Around 4.5 yrs ago when I was researching infant seats I remember coming across a site that rated car seats based on the chemicals they off-gas (fire retardants/etc). Does anybody know what I'm talking about that can point me in the right direction? I'm MUCH more chemically sensitive now than I was back then so I'm trying to save myself some literal and figurative headaches (...not to mention what all the crazy chemicals do to a new little squishy. Ack!)

We're looking at getting a new infant seat (something compact because I need to be able to fit 3 across in the back of a Toyota Camry along with 2 RF Radians). Based on previous suggestions I've gotten here, my short list of possible matches included the Keyfit, Cybex Aton, Maxi Cosi Mico and maybe something Coccoro? I was looking at the Keyfit reviews on Amazon and the most helpful critical one (and many comments to it) talked about the chemical smell coming from the seat. SOOO glad I read that before ordering one on a BF sale!

Aingeru 11-22-2012 08:36 PM

Re: Carseat off-gassing/toxicity info?

I'm very sensitive to chemical smells, and I LOVE our Cybex Aton. I know the article you're talking about but I can't remember where I read it, the Aton wasn't around when that was written though, so I have no evidence of it not off-gassing, but I've never picked up any smells from it.

The Combi Coccoro I've seen is a compact convertible, BTW, not an infant seat, but maybe you're talking about another model? If you don't mind not being able to take it in and out of the car each time, it looks like a nice choice, too, though.

luvsviola 11-22-2012 08:59 PM

All of the covers are machine washable. You should be able to get almost all of the smell out of any of them.

aaiya 11-22-2012 09:06 PM

Yeah...I just figured out that the Coccoro is a convertible :D I really love being able to take our newbies in and out of the car in their seats...so just pretend like I know what I'm talking about ;) (and strike that one from my possible list).

I just found healthystuff.org. That was not the site I was looking at 4 years ago but they do have some ratings and I guess ALL the Keyfits aren't terrible (wish the amazon reviewers would specify the colors they had problems with).

Can you tell me about the fastening mechanisms on the Cybex Aton? (Does it puzzle or just snap in?) I love our old infant seat (Graco Safeseat, IIRC) and how it latches. Also love the ease of the Radian chest latches. If the Cybex Aton, Keyfit, or Maxi Cosi Mico have easy latching, that will automatically bump them up on my list. (And if I hurry up and buy something, it can outgas in the garage for a few months before the new baby arrives)

Tabatha 11-22-2012 09:24 PM

I have a really sensitive nose and have never smelled anything from my Chicco Keyfit 30 in color "adventure" (it's green and brown). Plus it is an awesome seat and I would highly recommend it.

Aingeru 11-22-2012 09:33 PM

The Aton is REALLY easy to install both with LATCH and seatbelt (and also without the base). I love it, really, the only thing that's not great is the canopy (I drape a lightweight receiving blanket over the canopy and handle to shield DD from the sun). I love that's it's more compact than our old seat, and also lighter. For DS we had a Graco SafeSeat as well. The Aton is also rated for tiny babies (my DD was a peanut)

The other issue worth mentioning is that when using in the lowest harness slots, it can be tough to tighten the harness when the seat is snapped into the base because the plate gets stuck. If you're putting baby in the seat outside of the car, this won't be an issue, however, it was for me because I frequently leave the seat in the car.

aaiya 11-22-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tabatha (Post 15961247)
I have a really sensitive nose and have never smelled anything from my Chicco Keyfit 30 in color "adventure" (it's green and brown). Plus it is an awesome seat and I would highly recommend it.

That's good to know. The Keyfit (despite the negative smell comments on Amazon) is making it's way up on my list. I don't know...Maxi Cosi is Dorel, right? I don't like them on principle. And the Cybex Atons cost more :giggle: I don't know. I should probably go look at them in person...but I'm torn because I really did NOT want to venture out on black friday...yet I'd love to get me some black friday savings!

Aingeru 11-22-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaiya (Post 15961275)
Maxi Cosi is Dorel, right? I don't like them on principle.

FWIW, everything I've read points towards the Maxi Cosi being hard to install correctly.

luvsviola 11-23-2012 07:46 AM

Diapers.com has hassle free easy free return shipping. I've returned a seat to them before and the PayPal was back on my account the day the received it back. It would save you from the crazy. :)

aaiya 11-23-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvsviola (Post 15961946)
Diapers.com has hassle free easy free return shipping. I've returned a seat to them before and the PayPal was back on my account the day the received it back. It would save you from the crazy. :)

Oooo...Thanks for the tip. I'll check them out to see what they have in stock.