Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Infant Chest Cold (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465951)

Cleokatrah 11-23-2012 02:43 AM

Infant Chest Cold

My 8 month old dd, who just got over a fever a week ago, has some really bad chest congestion right. We are doing steaming showers, vaporizer w/eucalyptus, and baby ches rub. The congestion is only in hr chest. I've tried pulling mucus from her nose but I get nothing, and when I look, her nasal passages are clear. We are having a really rough night. She cannot stay asleep, wakes fully up every few minutes, and is just miserable. I did disturb my pediatrician's holiday to call his answering service. He told me what to listen/look for as warning signs of something serious. She is still able to breathe through her nose and doesn't sound funny, etc. Her breathing and coughs just sound very wet. No fever or any other symptoms at all.

My concerns are: It's only Thursday (okay, Friday) and the dr's office of course isn't open until Monday. How long do I let the sleeplesness and congestion go on before I need to see someone? Should I be more worried or less worried that it is concentrated in the chest? Any similar experiences?

Secondly, I'm half convinced that I'm the one that did this to her. My husband was sick last week with a fever and congestion. He came down with it on Sunday, I think. I had a friend I hadn't seen in 20 years fly down the following weekend (this last weekend). Because my husband had lingering congestion and there's not enough space in my home, I opted to take the baby out instead of leave her at her grandparents. So she was pretty actie for 3 days in a row. We are normally the stay at home type but I wanted my friend (her Godmother btw) and my dd to spend time together. We didn't paint the town but we hit a restaurant one day, the park another, and then the airport. I know that isn't a flurry of activity but it's more than my dd is used to and with my husband getting over his cold, and her fever ending only a few days prior, I think I should have known better. Now she's miserable and I feel guilty, worried and helpless.

raisingcropsandbabies 11-23-2012 05:26 AM

Re: Infant Chest Cold

((hugs)). Can you google intercostal breathing videos? That helped me in deciding whether or not to take my son into the ER/Urgent Cares because of his congestion. He was a RAD baby and his attacks always seemed to fall on weekends (and when he'd get colds. grrr)! With him, I knew it was time to go in somewhere when he was breathing he'd suck in around his ribs. It can be hard to tell on a chunky baby (which he was), but usually when I laid him down I could see some pull and that coupled with my mommy gut; was usually right. A lot of times they'd give us neubulizers and deep suction him along with prescriptions. Other times, they'd deep suction him if he wasn't able to loosen it and get it up himself then just give him breathing treatments there.

Is baby girl coughing up stuff on her own?

Something the nurses taught me was pounding firmly on their back, going from the bottom upto the top. Pound, pound, pound. I would do it frequently and esp. after sitting in the steamy bathroom with him.

I imagine baby girl sleeps much better propped up, yes? Will she sleep on you in a recliner? Everyone would tell me to put a rolled up towel under the crib, but it never worked because he would slide down!

It's a hard call to make, I know! If you decide to go in, just know you are not the only mother to take their baby to the urgent care because of concern. As for the guilt... I, personally, do not think you did anything. And go easy on yourself... you will do MUCH worse things you can feel guilty about later! haha. Don't let this be one of them. I know it's hard to see baby girl so miserable though. Lord, we pray for your healing of this sweet child and for Mama to have the guidance to know what to do!

knodceo 11-23-2012 05:45 AM

Hylands tiny baby col tabs work great!