Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Weaning Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   best bottle? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1466157)

tysmomma 11-23-2012 09:12 PM

best bottle?

In your experience of weaning off of bf, which bottle has worked best for you? I dont want to completely wean my daughter off, just be able to switch between the bottle and the breast.

I am going to start taking college classes again, thus the need for her to go to bottles while with her grandma

keen1981 11-23-2012 09:16 PM

How old is baby. And does baby currently take bottle?

firststella 11-24-2012 12:00 AM

As PP said it depends so much of age of your baby, as well as if any sucking issues she might have.
I used narrow (and later on wide) orthodontic NUK nipples (with NUK or born free bottles) for my DD from 2mo, with pumped milk first (and then we began giving her a little bit of
formula at around 5mo) while still nursing until she was approx 8mo. We hadn't have any issue (nipple confusion or anything like that). Born free bottles have great venting system! We still use them.
HTH! Good luck mama:)

tysmomma 11-24-2012 06:58 AM

Re: best bottle?

shes only 2 weeks and will be about 3 months when i need to make the transition to bottle some times. she is bf only at the moment and has no feeding or sucking issues

Huxley 11-24-2012 03:06 PM

I used the Medela Calma nipple when I had to supplement. My daughter had no problems going from the breast to the bottle and back. It was expensive, but worked really well for us.

keen1981 11-24-2012 03:17 PM

Start the bottle TODAY, and use it once a day. Any bottle should be fine. From the Walmart cheapies to life factory glass.

1 ounce per hour. So have your SO give baby 2 ounces and then no breast for 1.5 hours (if possible)

For some babies there is a window of bottle acceptance. And your window is now.

Nerissa 11-24-2012 05:05 PM

dont stress. She is still young. I would start a bottle in the next week or so. Make sure your breastfeeding is well estalished and she has a good latch.

I WOH full time so my babies have bottles at daycare. Each one i started at 3 weeks with a bottle. With DS1 the only bottle he would take was a wide nipple bottle. he like playtex ventair or drop ins the best I tried a ton of different ones before i found one he liked. i didn't try any others with DS2 or DD. I would start with a wide nipple first since it is more like the breast and make sure you have the slow flow.

I had DH give a bottle at least once a week. You dont need to give a bottle every day for her to take one while you are gone. None had any trouble going back and forth between breast and bottle.

DD currently takes 3 bottles while I am at work and then nurses when I am home.

crunchymom2b 11-24-2012 09:18 PM

Breastflow, love it! Also like Tommee Tippee. Have the Calma but not a huge fan.

SweetMamaKaty 11-24-2012 09:40 PM

For the few times we have needed it, we love the mOmma bottle by Lansinoh!!

tysmomma 11-25-2012 12:53 AM

thank you so much ladies. so far I have tried the Nuk bottle, only twice (on two separate days) and she did not like it, pretty much refused to suck from it. so maybe I should try a different bottle? I was thinking tommy tippie or this really round one I saw the other day, can't remember the name of it though