Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Salary desired? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1466341)

mrslsb 11-24-2012 04:36 PM

Salary desired?

Hopefully this question hasn't been posted lately...

I'm currently applying for new jobs since we're moving back home very VERY soon. When prospective employers ask you what salary you desire do you actually put it or do you put something along the lines of "to be discussed"?

My main concern is that people may not want to interview me once they see the number. I've been in my field for 9 years now and feel as if I've worked very hard to get where I am. :headscratch: What do y'all think?

friskykitty 11-24-2012 05:18 PM

Re: Salary desired?

Given the horrid economy I would put something along the lines
negotiable
commensurate with experience

dudleypippen 11-24-2012 05:44 PM

I might put something along the lines of "competitive based on experience." I would try to get them to say an exact number first which gives you the upper hand in negotiating. At an in person interview if asked about salary I would probably tell them what I make now (more or less) since that reflects the experience I have. Good luck mama!

carriek38 11-25-2012 07:06 AM

Salary will depend on a lot of things--for example, are salaries just plain higher or lower in your new place or your old? Is the specific job/field you're applying for more competitive in one area over the other? Are you more or less desirable b/c of your combination of education & experience, particularly as it relates to pay?

And for you, is it more important to get a job, or to get paid commensurate with your experience? I mean that truly, as in, Are you the primary earner &/or is the family somewhat dependent on your pay to make ends meet? And is salary equivalent to what you're making now a need? And is it a reasonable expectation? Or are you working, at least in part, b/c you love your field; would you be willing to take a bit of a hit financially to continue doing a similar job? Will you get any perks w/ these jobs you're applying for, such as more flexible hours, low-cost insurance, etc., that would offset a loss in salary?

Simply put, yes, you may close doors if you won't take any less than what you're getting now b/c of your years of experience...so are you willing to negotiate on the salary aspect (in which case, I'd give them a minimum amount or tell them $XXX(negotiable) ) or are you willing to wait longer to find a job that pays you what you want?

InBloomDoula 11-25-2012 10:41 PM

This is something that I wish I had been more prepared for in the hiring process for my current position. I was promoted from within the company so unfortunately the hiring manager was already in the loop about my prior pay and he had already calculated what to offer me. I didn't know what the average/moderate/high pay was for the position was so I was left floundering when it came to negotiating. I would think through what you really want vs. what you feel is fair and it may help you be prepared. The thought I'll leave you with is to honor yourself by putting a number out there that is truly worth your time and efforts. :)

Van1300 11-27-2012 09:00 AM

My husband took a class in negotiating while getting his MBA. He told me flat out to never put a number and to always let them give you a number first.

He even put "$000" sometimes in the field for salary in electronic applications which often prompts an HR or hiring person to personally email him to review that question and then he has their email address to network/stay in contact with.

luvsviola 12-02-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Van1300 (Post 15975698)
He even put "$000" sometimes in the field for salary in electronic applications which often prompts an HR or hiring person to personally email him to review that question and then he has their email address to network/stay in contact with.

That is awesome advice.

TangerineTea 12-19-2012 10:39 PM

I just responded about salary on another post so I will cut and paste. I highly recommend browsing some of the great negotiation books at Barnes and Noble. Or even online there are so many great tips. You already got some fantastic responses. At some point they are going to try to get you to name a figure. The golden rule in negotiation in that the one who names the figure first loses. So first say something vague like "My salary was comparable to the going rate for someone of my rank, education, and experience level". If further pressed say "My salary was in the mid 50k range", if further pressed say "My salary was between 50 and 55k". Do not include bonuses, stock, etc. unless they ask.

jamieism 02-11-2013 10:08 PM

For my most recent job I had to enter a number (though the pp advice about putting $000 is interesting). You can search average salary for the position you are applying for on glassdoor.com - that will give you a sense of what you should expect. It was pretty accurate in my case.