Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Can you RF on the 3rd row of a mini van? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1466379)

maramarrie 11-24-2012 06:18 PM

Can you RF on the 3rd row of a mini van?

We're planning to rent a van for travel in a few months. There will be 4 adults and 2 RF kids.

We want to put the kids on the 3rd row so the adults can get in/out easily. If you can RF on the 3rd row, are there any vans that say NOT to RF a child on the 3rd row (I have a 3-row SUV that says not to RF on the 3rd row, so I'm curious about vans)? I want to make sure we rent a vehicle that allows for this.

If we can't RF on the 3rd row, I probably need a van that has captains chairs that can be set up next to one another in the 2nd row, with easy access for adults to the 3rd row.

Can anyone help me figure out what type of van would work for this or what type to avoid, so I can make arrangements for a rental? Thanks!

***This is a question mainly for the owners manual information. I have a vehicle that coud FIT a RF seat in the back row, but the car owners manual says not to install a RF seat on the back row. Are some/all 3-row vans the same way?

33andunder 11-24-2012 07:50 PM

Re: Can you RF on the 3rd row of a mini van?

We have a Ford Windstar and rearfaced in the back row of it.

Mags462 11-24-2012 08:50 PM

I cannot imagine you not being able to RF in the 3rd row bench.... getting 2 seats back there should be doable no matter the brand of van.

I personally have used my 3rd row for RF, and it works just fine. :goodvibes:

luvsviola 11-24-2012 09:08 PM

I've rearfaced in an Odyssey. You just have to move the second row of seats up, so the second row people have less foot room.

maramarrie 11-25-2012 01:34 AM

Just to clarify: I'm not questioning if there is room to RF on the 3rd row. I want to know if the owners manual says you can or can't.

smashncakes 11-25-2012 07:56 AM

Out of curiosity, what 3rd row SUV do you have that says you can't RF in the 3rd row? We may be shopping for another 3rd row SUV soon and I wanna make sure I don't look at that one.

maramarrie 11-25-2012 10:42 AM

My 2009 Honda pilot says not to. I'm not sure if it has to do with the distance the seat is from other seats or if it could be because of the safety of the tailgate being so close in an accident. There is no explanation in the manual.

luvsviola 11-25-2012 11:18 AM

Stay away from Acadia--only one top tether in the rear, so only one FF harnessed seat can go back there.

HugeBabyBoy 11-25-2012 10:13 PM

We are also traveling (in January) and will be renting a minivan. We'll have a packed car and the kids will be in the 2nd row, adults in the 3rd row. I would not take the chance of an accident and glass shattering down upon them. Where we are traveling, it will be wet and rainy, very likely icy; it's a collision-friendly situation (I'm not thrilled about that). If the only reason to RF in the 3rd row is convenience, don't forget the adults can entertain children RF in the 2nd row... They are a valuable asset in this regard!!

brigala 11-25-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maramarrie (Post 15968288)
My 2009 Honda pilot says not to. I'm not sure if it has to do with the distance the seat is from other seats or if it could be because of the safety of the tailgate being so close in an accident. There is no explanation in the manual.

Weird. Do you have some kind of unusual model or something? I'm looking at the manual for the 2009 Honda online and it says this on page 42:

Quote:

Rear-facing Child Seat Placement
A rear-facing child seat can be placed in any seating position in the back seat, but not in the front. Never put a rear-facing child seat in the front seat.
It goes on to warn about installing a rear-facing seat in the second row, because it may not fit and still leave a safe distance for the front seat passengers from the air bag. I don't see anything that suggests a rear-facing seat can't be installed in the third row.

I'd be really interested in knowing what your manual says, and why it's different from the one on Honda's website.