Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Help! Britax roundabout 55 vs marathon classic vs Evenflo Triumph!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1466781)

Leanbh 11-26-2012 09:07 AM

Help! Britax roundabout 55 vs marathon classic vs Evenflo Triumph!!

I need a car seat asap and I've narrowed it down to the britax roundabout 55 or the Evenflo Triumph as both in my price range and recommendations.

There is a Triumph really on sale today, but now I've just seen a Marathon Classic on sale at target.

I'm confused at the difference at Marathon Classic vs the Roundabout 55.

All I can see is the Classic RF until 35lb and the Roundabout to 40lb

I don't think that is an issue as LO is 1 and in the 5-10% lol.

Help greatly appreciated:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Oh and thoughts vs Triumph vs either Britax.

Lo is itty bitty right now, all siblings are tall, but he isn't (yet?). We have a kia sedona, captain chairs.

aphlbrck 11-26-2012 09:41 AM

Re: Help! Britax roundabout 55 vs marathon classic vs Evenflo Triumph!!

We have a roundabout in our Subaru and 3 Marathons in our Sienna...I don't think the Marathon would fit rf comfortably in the Subaru or any smaller car if you would ever need to switch it into another vehicle...The Marathon feels more substantial to me but the kids seem to like both just fine...

jjordan 11-26-2012 09:42 AM

The roundabout 55 is in the new generation of Britax seats. It will last approximately as long as the classic marathon by height. They both have seatbelt lockoffs, although they are a little different between the seats. Really the seats are quite similar. The RA55 takes up less front-back space, although probably not a concern for you with a minivan. They are about the same width. They work great in a Sedona.

The triumph is quite different. It will last a little longer RF by height, although with a tiny kid, that's not a concern for you. They have a no-rethread harness that connects at the shoulders with red tabs. Some people love this harness and some find the red tabs to be irritating. The harness tightness is adjusted by turning knobs near the head end of the seat. Again, some hate and some love this. Also the triumph is quite wide. It doesn't have seatbelt lockoffs. Some of the versions have nice LATCH attachments and some have ordinary ones, so you might check that out. (The Britax seats have the nice attachments.)

If you have a chance to try some seats in person, that would probably help you decide what you like. Otherwise I suppose you can just choose one! They are all nice seats.

Leanbh 11-26-2012 02:09 PM

Thanks so much....so we went to Target and sat LO in both. He actually seemed much comfier in the Triumph and seemed like there would be lots more room to grow. I was really leaning toward the Britax because.....well...it's Britax so supposed to be great. But once sitting him in both we both felt the triumph worked better. I'm going to check if the one I'm looking for has the latch.

maramarrie 11-26-2012 02:48 PM

The seat compartment is about 1" taller in the Marathon Classic (so if you have a tall lightweight kid you could RF longer height-wise). Marathon Classic also has HUGS. Other than that I'm not sure of the differences. We have a Roundabout 50 Classic and Marathon Classic. I HATE the Marathon...it's soooo difficult to get the harness straps tight enough. It fits the vehicle RF beautifully, but the harness is a pain in the butt. My ILs have an Evenflo Triumph, and it's a pain in the butt RF, too. The harness is easy peasy, but the knob to turn the harness tight/loose is really difficult to get to when installed RF. It might be easier in some vehicles/seat types, but I've installed it RF in a Buick Enclave, Honda Accord, and Lexus IS; the knob is just tight to the seat and hard to get to (especially for care givers who might not be inclined to put as much importance on cinching the harness tight). I've had 2 Roundabout seats (the original with a 21" seat compartment - really short; and the Roundabout 50 Classic). I have loved both of those. My two cents would be to go with a Roundabout. The Marathon is my 2nd choice.

juliasmom 11-26-2012 04:40 PM

Ive had all 3. I hated the EFTA RFing (in MILs Honda Accord) with a passion!!! We did battle every install and whenever the harness was loosened/tightened (darn stupid knob!!!). I hated it so much I sold it and replaced it with a Roundabout 50, which I trust my 65 yo MIL to install and use properly 100%. I prefer my Britax seats because they are soooo user friendly compared to other seats! I prefer the RA55 over the MA65 because of the rubber on the bottom which is nicer on my leather seats and I feel like the deeper shell seems safer. I dont have issues with the harness on either. My almost 3 yo can RF in any of them, though we turned her FFing a few months ago so its a non-issue.

Leanbh 11-27-2012 09:00 AM

I have heard hit and miss with the evenflo adjusting knobs too when I looked at reviews. There seems to be a trick to it though. I did order the evenflo, but it can be returned to the store if needed. I'm going to try it out, see how I feel about the harness and the fit with our car and if I'm not happy then go back to one of the Britax. I did really like the rubber thingys on the britax harness. I bet that keeps them exactly where they are supposed to be.

juliasmom 11-27-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leanbh
I have heard hit and miss with the evenflo adjusting knobs too when I looked at reviews. There seems to be a trick to it though. I did order the evenflo, but it can be returned to the store if needed. I'm going to try it out, see how I feel about the harness and the fit with our car and if I'm not happy then go back to one of the Britax. I did really like the rubber thingys on the britax harness. I bet that keeps them exactly where they are supposed to be.

The knob on the EFTA must work in some cars....it is a well liked seat many. In some cars the seats are shaped in a way that makes the knob dig into the seat back, making the knob and lever very difficult to use. I had this issue in my Toyota Sienna and MILs Honda Accord (both have leather bucket seats with contoured seat backs)....I tried every trick and fix I could find. I predict very flat bench seats might be more compatible.

Leanbh 11-27-2012 02:00 PM

That might be my problem as I think our captain seats have a bit of a divet....like you need to use the pool noodle with the graco infant seat, but not the chicco some reason as we have that now? I'm going to REALLY try it out on the chairs to make sure I'm 100% ok with it as I'm not dealing with that for the next 3/4 years if it's an issue!

Also need to do a bit of research as I thought I read while researching this that sometimes you are better off using the seat belt to get the tightest fit as opposed to the latch. We always presumed the latch was better, but I guess it depends on the seat/car fit? I know people have problems getting the myride65 tight enough, but I think this one is easy ish to install...

rverrone11 11-27-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphlbrck (Post 15971589)
We have a roundabout in our Subaru and 3 Marathons in our Sienna...I don't think the Marathon would fit rf comfortably in the Subaru or any smaller car if you would ever need to switch it into another vehicle...The Marathon feels more substantial to me but the kids seem to like both just fine...

We have a Marathon classic rear facing comfortably behind the driver seat in our 2001 Jetta, which has a very small backseat.

We have a Marathon classic and a Roundabout 55, and they are very similar in size. The Marathon provides more leg room than the Roundabout.