Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   NIP completely exposed??? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1466785)

Ellasundies 11-26-2012 09:29 AM

NIP completely exposed???

I've been debating posting this thread but am curious to see what others think on this.

I will start off by saying that I'm am a big believer in NIP with or without a cover in church, in the mall, at dinner, out to eat etc... I was the first to BF in my family and have paved the way for the younger women in my family to feel comfortable BF'ing in our family environment.

That said. My sister (who also NIP) works for a national family friendly restaurant chain. A few nights ago they had a women come in with her DH and kids. The women requested a table that is smack dab in the middle of the restaurant and can be seen easily from nearly all the other tables. She had a small baby with her and decided to nurse the baby. This is where it gets a little bizarre. The women lifted her shirt up over both breasts (as though she was trying to flash someone) both of her naked breasts and stomach were entirely exposed to nearly the entire restaurant. The only thing covering part of one breast was her baby's head. She watched several tables get up mid meal, not pay and walk out. Once the manager realized what was going on he politely asked the women if she could cover up a little. Rather then just pull her shirt down she walked out with a huff and nursed outside in her van.

I just don't get this :headscratch: . I've seen something very similar happen once before as well. Why do this?? In my state NIP is protected and I realize the manager was treading on thing ice but I just don't understand why it is necessary to not try to be at least a little discreet. Frankly I think this women just made the right to NIP all that much harder for everyone else.

I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this.

l_Kimmie_l 11-26-2012 09:37 AM

Re: NIP completely exposed???

I once attended one of my son's soccar practices when he was 8. THere was a woman with a 9-12 month old baby. I was seated next to her on the sideline of the field. She lifted her shirt up baring both breasts, and started feeding in front of literally 90-100 men and boys. She was talking to me and I was even embarrassed and I was a stripper at one time!

I get breastfeeding is natural and best for baby and can be done anywhere that food is allowed, but then there are extremists who are all about shock value who ruin it for us who are not doing anything like that. I where a nursing tank, try to be descrete, do not use a cover, and hold my hand close incase of nipple exposure. I just nursed in front of a classroom of children, parents, and small children for a Thanksgiving feast. Everyone was finea dn one of the poor male teachers got an eye full when his child came up and delatched my nursling. He simply looked away fast while I laughed. People were more freaked out by the mom with the lowriders and butt hanging out than me nursing a couple times at dinner. But I also was not showing all my business to the world either.

mysticmomma1879 11-26-2012 09:50 AM

Why did both boobies need to be exposed to feed one baby?

s@hmommy 11-26-2012 09:53 AM

I think people like this are the ones that make NIP so controversial, they ruin it for everyone. I have sat right next to two different people nip and didn't even know that's what they were doing until they said something!

Kiliki 11-26-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l (Post 15971560)
I once attended one of my son's soccar practices when he was 8. THere was a woman with a 9-12 month old baby. I was seated next to her on the sideline of the field. She lifted her shirt up baring both breasts, and started feeding in front of literally 90-100 men and boys. She was talking to me and I was even embarrassed and I was a stripper at one time!

I get breastfeeding is natural and best for baby and can be done anywhere that food is allowed, but then there are extremists who are all about shock value who ruin it for us who are not doing anything like that. I where a nursing tank, try to be descrete, do not use a cover, and hold my hand close incase of nipple exposure. I just nursed in front of a classroom of children, parents, and small children for a Thanksgiving feast. Everyone was finea dn one of the poor male teachers got an eye full when his child came up and delatched my nursling. He simply looked away fast while I laughed. People were more freaked out by the mom with the lowriders and butt hanging out than me nursing a couple times at dinner. But I also was not showing all my business to the world either.

agree.

I don't see the point in baring more than you need to, to feed your kid. Yes, you SHOULD NIP and there is NOTHING wrong with NIP --- IF you are doing it for its true purpose --- which is to feed your kid. Showing more than you need to is detrimental to the NIP cause, and only adds to the idea that nursing is weird and gross and sexual, b/c people who sit in the MIDDLE of a full restaurant and pull up their ENTIRE shirt to nurse ONE baby on ONE boob are showing off their breasts. It's gross.

NURSING is not gross. BREASTS are not gross. But doing a strip tease in a Denny's to prove that women have the right to nurse anywhere, IS gross.

Ellasundies 11-26-2012 10:07 AM

I have no idea why she needed to bare both breasts to feed one child. That was my first question when I heard this story.

The first time I witnessed something like this was at a horse show (so an obviously family friendly event). The Mom had completely exposed on breast to feed the baby then when she had to set her baby down to get up to grab her diaper bag she never bothered to pull her shirt back down.

I'm glad to see that I'm with you guys. I think it's people like that that make a bad name for NIP. It almost kind of seemed like she wanted to cause a big ruckus. I'm almost wondering if she is out there causing all sorts of drama to get a nurse in going.

shortcake2386 11-26-2012 10:34 AM

yeah i know people like that. i dont get it but it doesnt really bother 'me'. i just look away. i used a nursing cover with my oldest, nothing with #3 and 4 just a nursing tank and a shirt on top.

happysmileylady 11-26-2012 11:01 AM

Stuff like that makes me CRAZY. I was walking through Walmart a few years ago, and there was a display of outdoor furniture in the front of the store (inside). It was summer so they had this whole huge display with the swing and two chairs and table and such. And sitting in the swing seat in the center of the display was a lady with her button up shirt fully unbuttoned, lounging back in the swing and lazily swinging just slightly, nursing an older baby, probably close to a year.

I don't care how much the child is screaming for food, there's no reason to fully place yourself and what you are doing on display like that. Not to mention being all sprawled out on store merchandise that you haven't purchased. It's really no different than people who make out with their partners in public or that freak of a woman who brought her toddlers potty chairs into the middle of the restaraunt. There are some things that just don't need to be on fully display like that. That doesn't make them bad or wrong or anything like that. It just means that you be a bit discreet.

And yes, I totally do nurse in public. I generally find someplace out of the way and comfortable to sit down, and either put down or lift up enough shirt to give baby access and that's about it. I will only use a blanket as a cover if I am exposing enough belly to get chilly. I have nursed 3 kids in public now and that's just how I feel it should be done. I don't care if people use covers or not, but man, at least be discreet about the whole thing.

happysmileylady 11-26-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

It almost kind of seemed like she wanted to cause a big ruckus. I'm almost wondering if she is out there causing all sorts of drama to get a nurse in going.
She probably went home and posted on some blog or message board about how she was discriminated against and all she was doing was feeding her baby and how dare someone impose on her right to nurse. And she probably got all kinds of support, with lots of folks telling her how right she is and how awful it is that people are made so uncomfortable by just feeding a baby. All while never mentioning that she basically stripped and displayed herself very obviously.

Teexie 11-26-2012 11:04 AM

It wouldn't bother me. But if I were nursing like that I'd expect to offend some (most) people.