Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   eczema treatments and dry winter skin?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1466841)

gghmommy 11-26-2012 12:04 PM

eczema treatments and dry winter skin??

this is a 2-parter... my little girl has eczema and I'd like to know some tried and true tips and tricks to make life less itchy. It's mainly behind her knees, crease of elbow and a couple misc. patches on her legs, perhaps some on cheeks. Soap, lotion? I use baby soap all over as she has little hair. Coconut oil or gold bond lotion. my doc Rx'd some steroid cream that I'll use on the "flares" but want to do what I can to help. Does food play into this?
The dry winter skin is me- especially my hands and some dry face, which I haven't ever had before. again, any tips? I don't like having aligator hands!
thanks!

PBAki 11-26-2012 12:28 PM

Re: eczema treatments and dry winter skin??

I would use natural oil based lotion if you can; nothing commercially sold.

I'm not sure how old your little girl is but I know with my eczema, dead sea salt scrub once a week and using natural oil based lotion cleared up my hands within few weeks. Less itching as the dead sea salt gently scrubs the skin and deposit the natural minerals in the affected areas. The lotion helps to cover the area without agitating without use of chemicals.

But yes, food may play a huge role. It could be minor or major like gluten, processed/pasteurized dairy, beans (again, processed), citrus, or anything that cause inflammation. Phlegm is another a good sign of mild allergy or intolerance when you eat something and produce a lot of mucus.

And hydrate lots :)

pumkinsmommy 11-26-2012 01:16 PM

The most important thing is to hydrate and then moisturize. Give a daily bath and then after barely drying the skin or not at all, put on the moisturizer. I have found the best one to be Vani cream. I use cetaphil wash only. Baby washes of any kind were too harsh for my daughter. I would use the Rx on the spots that are flaring--under the cream.

Ashtyn(n)Nyla'sMama 11-26-2012 01:20 PM

I know it sounds seriously weird, but the cream that the doctor prescribed to me for ds1 NEVER worked. She recommended using Crisco. EVENTUALLY I did and wish I had used it sooner, because it worked, and made him much less itchy.

knittingk 11-26-2012 01:43 PM

My older two have excema and the season change and winter is difficult. Have tried many lotions but I would second the natural lotion. We have had the best luck with lanolin, coconut oil, and baths with baby oil. I have also used clear hills honey lotions with the propolis in them and they worked well. Be careful to make sure whatever you chose your LO is not sensitive to the lotion as well (we found out with the commercial lotions some of them would cause worse problems than leaving the excema itch).

MamaZnR 11-26-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PBAki
I would use natural oil based lotion if you can; nothing commercially sold.

I'm not sure how old your little girl is but I know with my eczema, dead sea salt scrub once a week and using natural oil based lotion cleared up my hands within few weeks. Less itching as the dead sea salt gently scrubs the skin and deposit the natural minerals in the affected areas. The lotion helps to cover the area without agitating without use of chemicals.

But yes, food may play a huge role. It could be minor or major like gluten, processed/pasteurized dairy, beans (again, processed), citrus, or anything that cause inflammation. Phlegm is another a good sign of mild allergy or intolerance when you eat something and produce a lot of mucus.

And hydrate lots :)

I agree with this, my dr poo pooed the idea of my DD having food allergies (she has eczema)

tallanvor 12-08-2012 09:55 PM

Eczema is often tied to allergies/sensitivities, but not always. One of the biggest culprits in our house is dairy. More specifically, it seems to be lactose, as we're all fine on raw milk. Anyway, we are also careful about soaps and detergents. You may have to play around with those some. And don't assume that because it says "free and clear" that it'll be okay.

Now, what we found to work best on eczema breakouts is calendula cream. Children don't get bathed but a couple times a week, unless they are really dirty. We use coconut oil as a moisturizer. Cooler water is better, and oatmeal in the bath water can help with the itches. Drink plenty of water and add good fats into your diet. We take fish oil to help with that.

For your hands, try to avoid water as much as possible. Wear gloves, for instance, when doing dishes. For your face, I would recommend you look into the oil cleanse method. It cleanses and moisturizes, and since you mix the oil yourself, you can easily tweak it back and forth for when you need more moisturizing and when you need less.

marenmccoy 12-08-2012 10:39 PM

Fewer baths, California Baby calendula cream. But what made the biggest difference for us was switching laundry detergents. We were using 7th gen but even that was making DS flare up all over. When we switched to Country Save he cleared up, like 90% within a few days. Sounds like a likely culprit for your DD since her problem areas would be clothing chafe points.

sisu 12-09-2012 12:46 AM

Non-cultured dairy is a huge trigger for my son, and his also seems to get worse as winter approaches. Some strongly scented laundry detergents will make him flare as well, others do not. All laundry gets an extra rinse, though.

DS does the best if he gets a bath every day, BUT we have to take it easy on the soap. California Baby Super Sensitive or a natural bar soap with oatmeal and calendula work well for him, but we only wash his hair and butt and hands with soap daily, all of his other parts are soaped 1-2x per week. The key is to slather him in some sort of lotion/balm/oil immediately after bath time, if I'm using an oil I smear it on him while he's still in the tub, with lotions or balms he gets a quick rubdown to get most of the extra water off and then I put then I cover him in lotion.

jbug_4 12-09-2012 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashtyn(n)Nyla'sMama (Post 15972329)
I know it sounds seriously weird, but the cream that the doctor prescribed to me for ds1 NEVER worked. She recommended using Crisco. EVENTUALLY I did and wish I had used it sooner, because it worked, and made him much less itchy.

Our doc told us to use crisco too because dd is allergic to coconut (which is what we think causes her eczema- since it is in pretty much all health and beauty products) and peanuts (all nuts are out) it is very hard to find commercial lotion we can use on her. We have also used pure olive oil as lotion. We have one kid with eczema and allergies and one with eczema and no allergies- the one without has the worse eczema.