Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Notifying my supervisor (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1466858)

ardeur 11-26-2012 11:38 AM

Notifying my supervisor

When would be the appropriate time to tell my supervisor that I'm pregnant? I suppose it depends on how early I start showing. I know I'll feel awkward telling her too early -- I hope to wait until my 2nd trimester. How is this normally handled?

evasimone 11-26-2012 12:26 PM

Re: Notifying my supervisor

I told at 12 weeks. Whenever you decide to notify make sure they are the first to know. You don't want her or him to hear it from one of your coworkers.

misskira 11-26-2012 12:46 PM

I told just a few days after finding out. I'm a special ed teacher though, and some major decisions were being made. They needed to know that we would have a sub for the end of my school year. We waited until 12 weeks to officially tell My students' parents, but i was starting to show so I was already getting questions. With my first I told at 9 weeks because i had some bleeding and was on pelvic rest. My job isn't very conducive to that, so my assistants needed to know. We told parents at 5 months that time, since it would be during summer break anyways.

I say wait to 12 weeks unless you obviously show, or have a need to tell sooner.

amb2j 11-26-2012 01:05 PM

I know the "books" tend to say around 4 months. With my first, I told around 5 months. With my second, I didnt officially tell until well after I was showing. But, I think that depends on your work climate too. My office is VERY laid back and "pro family." Also, there have been some changes in my clinics that would make it unnecessary to need/find coverage while out on maternity leave so all of those factors played a role in why I told so late :-)

If I were at a "standard" workplace, Id probably tell around 12 weeks and make sure they were the first to know. Id also make sure I wasnt just telling, but also would show Ive had forethought about when Id be out/how much leave Id need, and coverage options (if necessary).

SpartyGuard 11-26-2012 01:14 PM

I told my boss today at 10 weeks. She's in different location so whether I was showing or not wasn't an issue. I've been feeling yucky and wanted to let her in on why my productivity is down a little and asked to work from home last week.

MommaLEB 11-26-2012 01:39 PM

I had to tell right away because my symptoms interfere a bit with my work. If that weren't the case I would wait until the 2nd trimester or I started showing, whichever. I agree with making your supervisor the first to know though.

ChocoChoco 11-26-2012 01:49 PM

First pregnancy, I told my sup at 8 weeks. This pregnancy, I told my sup at 13 weeks. I took longer the second time only because I didn't have a dating ultrasound as early and wanted to have a firm due date to share. I felt notifying the supervisor early in both cases was courteous and I trusted them both to keep the secret until I was ready to share.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

keen1981 11-26-2012 01:56 PM

I wait until 12 weeks.

EmilytheStrange 11-26-2012 02:07 PM

I told at 12/13 weeks. I wasn't showing/showing.. but I was leaving my shirt out (we had uniforms) because I couldn't wear my belt anymore.

it was hard to keep it a secret. For 3+ years there, I had clamored to be more involved in some of the flying and then finally, when I was first trimester nauseated, I was spending a lot of time in a helicopter looking down out the side (no doors) for cranes. I always took ginger snaps up with me :P

but I wanted to make sure I got to the second trimester.

Van1300 11-26-2012 02:08 PM

I told my supervisor at 10 weeks and the 'team' at 12 weeks for both pregnancies.

I had morning sickness so bad between weeks 7-18 so I had to tell her why I was so sick!