Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Moms of Many or Multiples (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Growing Family (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1466976)

reneaumommy 11-26-2012 05:52 PM

Growing Family

I think I qualify to post in the moms of many section now. lol I have 2 boys ages 3.5 and 5. We got a foster placement last week of a 3.5 year old boy and a 4.5 year old girl. To make life crazier our licensing worker called about expanding our license for one more! They want us to take a newborn in a month or two. Have we lost our minds? The four work well because they are all in the same age range. Will it be really hard to add a baby to the mix?

raisingcropsandbabies 11-26-2012 06:45 PM

Re: Growing Family

I only have 4 and so probably shouldn't give advice. I just want to tell you what an amazing thing you are doing to change the lives of children. My parents were also foster parents. There was 7 of us, biological kids, and then they usually had 5-7 foster kids (many times sibling groups) so there was always 12-14 kids in our hous! My mom was super organized and just amazing. It was definitely my parents calling and though there were mistakes made (of course) I just think they are earthly angels. :) It's a great example to show your children and I think all of us, bio kids, knew how blessed we were by living with kids who were not so blessed and seeing firsthand what that looked like. It was an interesting childhood, most definitely and mostly great, with ups and downs!

Anyway, my mom was super organized with so many kids in the house! Chore charts were a must. Good luck to you and God bless you!

Robin 12-10-2012 10:20 PM

Cool! We had a similar situation - we had a 3 yo and a 4 month old when we got our first foster placement - 2 and 4 year old sisters. It was actually great fun. I was surprised how smoothly it went. Best wishes to you. :)

ummsmiley 12-12-2012 10:28 AM

I think what you guys are doing is awesome. Adding a baby in the mix is defiantly doable. I have 5 bio's with another on the way. After 3 or 4 each kid is an extra decibel of noise but a wave length of love so it just all evens out.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forumq

newmommy13 12-16-2012 01:20 AM

Op how are things going? I just have dd 4yo and dfs 1 yo (and very challenging!) And we just got offered a placement of newborn twins due in april. I dont know if we can do it, we have a tiny house and my dh works nights and its already kind of hard attempting to keep these 2 quietish. Plus my dd is in preschool and has special needs so lots of appointments and they will probably ask for home visits 5x/week which was really hard before with our other newborn placement. Ugh! Decisions!

ctj101502 12-16-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies (Post 15973742)
I only have 4 and so probably shouldn't give advice. I just want to tell you what an amazing thing you are doing to change the lives of children. My parents were also foster parents. There was 7 of us, biological kids, and then they usually had 5-7 foster kids (many times sibling groups) so there was always 12-14 kids in our hous! My mom was super organized and just amazing. It was definitely my parents calling and though there were mistakes made (of course) I just think they are earthly angels. :) It's a great example to show your children and I think all of us, bio kids, knew how blessed we were by living with kids who were not so blessed and seeing firsthand what that looked like. It was an interesting childhood, most definitely and mostly great, with ups and downs!

Anyway, my mom was super organized with so many kids in the house! Chore charts were a must. Good luck to you and God bless you!

I wish they allowed that here, we can have no more than 6 including bio children

meesh38 12-18-2012 12:10 AM

They will try to get you to take as many as possible, and if you can and want to that's great but make sure you are looking out for your family as #1 and don't feel bad if you say no.

raisingcropsandbabies 12-18-2012 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meesh38 (Post 16056117)
They will try to get you to take as many as possible, and if you can and want to that's great but make sure you are looking out for your family as #1 and don't feel bad if you say no.

So true! While I value what my parents did, I remember being 7 and and one of my brothers being 9 and we saw how much energy the foster kids took for my parents. My brother and I made a pact to always be good and never to bother our mom and dad with our stuff and we pretty much held to that the rest of home years. Looking back, it seems a little sad. Also, never take on more foster kids than you can supervise... Knowing a lot of them can't be in the same rooms alone with other children. When you have so many of them, it can be hard to keep track of and things can happen (oh, the cycle of abuse... sad). :( So, yes, your family #1 and blessings to your calling.