Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Mini Celebration (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1467003)

katydid6952 11-26-2012 05:49 PM

Mini Celebration

I just wanted to brag a little that we've been EPing for 5 months now! I'm so proud of myself. I'm down to pumping 3 times a day. My goal is 6 months.....so I have 1 month left....but when I get to 6 months, who knows. I might set a new goal.

kirst 11-26-2012 06:49 PM

Re: Mini Celebration

Good for you....I made it until 10 weeks, then started tapering off as couldn't take it anymore (didn't want my child's whole summer to be spent in a bouncy seat listening to me pump). I had to pump six times a day to keep up with the volume he needed. I found that mid-day pump really hard to schedule around and I was getting depressed, as a single parent, and feeling like it was impossible to go anywhere. If I could have tapered down to a morning and evening pump and still had decent supply, I would have kept it up....but everyone I talked to about it said that 3 times a day was the minimum they were able to do.

Kudos to you because it is really very hard to keep it up. I really wanted to but in the end choice a happier mama for my son and more opportunities for us to get outside and socialize and enjoy his first summer together. I know I did my best, without losing my mind....I was finding I was getting frantic and panicking, crying as his feeds would approach if I knew I didn't have enough volume yet. It was a bad place to be, so I don't regret quitting.

But I hope you have little rewards built in to the day for yourself because a lot of people don't realize how hard it is when you can't just feed your child at the breast. It takes more than twice as long with the sterilization involved.

Good job, Mama! :)

katydid6952 11-26-2012 08:10 PM

Thanks! I only BF in the hospital. I knew it was a good way to kick start my supply plus I figured I'd give it a whirl. However, my lil' girl has a very strong suck and I ended up scabbed up so I switched to pumping the 2nd day after we came home cuz I was crying in pain every time I fed her. Which was fine cuz I was gonna have to start pumping anyway so I could go back to work. So I started pumping every 2 hours. Thankfully I had a supportive DF this time to help with her. He's been a big part of my success.

crunchymom2b 11-27-2012 06:48 AM

That is awesome mama! I made it 8 months with my first, but I wanted to make it a year. I was determined to make it a year with this LO but thankfully he started latching around 10 weeks. I'm thrilled to have such a big freezer stash this time though, its nice to have an insurance policy.

You are a great mama to be pumping like that for your LO! I know its not easy at times but you're giving baby the best start!

Nerissa 11-27-2012 09:02 AM

that is awsome. Way to go.

I pump at work and BF at home (and pump at home too). Its a lot of work.

ans7 12-10-2012 07:58 PM

I'm jumping up and down with you! I've been pumping the last 5 months as well with a 6month goal, but I have to supplement a bit with formula. I'd like to go longer, but right now I feel like I see a light at the end of the tunnel. You can definitely feel good about making it this long, good job!

sherber3 12-14-2012 06:19 AM

Congrats!!!!!! I am approaching 11 months EP and can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Those first months ate definitely the hardest. You can do it!!!