Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   How did you decide where to give birth? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1467098)

3 ladybugs 11-27-2012 07:02 AM

How did you decide where to give birth?

I may be jumping the gun just a bit right now. I just had my first beta yesterday, but I feel like this one is hanging around. :)

My Peri told me that I could deliver in the hospital where he delivers, or I could deliver closer to home and work with an OB that he trusts (I had a pre pregnancy consult with him). Either way my peri would oversea all of my care it is just who would deliver the baby assuming I get to term. I have to have a c-section so that isn't in question.

Hospital A - Is about 1 hour away (in traffic). We have to pay for parking (last time it was about $15 a day), has a level 3 NICU which we know many of the nurses in, Peri (or one of his partners) would deliver child. Hospital is the oldest continuous operating hospital in the country (started by Ben Franklin) but was getting a face lift to the post pardom rooms when I delivered DS 4 years ago. We wouldn't have to pay for the first copy of the birth certificate. It is easy access from airport as we have NO family nearby so this could be an issue with DS. Unsure if insurance would cover this hospital but I could fight it as they cover the parent hospital. I could get a PET scan shortly after birth to make my oncologist happy and she would get the results in hours.

Hospital B - Is about 30 minutes away (in rush hour traffic, without traffic I would guess about 15 minutes). Is about 5 minutes from DH's work. JUST opened in May so everything is brand new. An OB that is yet to be determined would deliver the baby (my peri is the head of the perinatology department there but doesn't deliver there). They have a PET machine but oncologist is in a different system. The NICU is level 2 and I know no one there. However the neonatologist are from the same hospital that Hospital A gets them from (top 10 in the country... I think #1 but I could be wrong). To get there from an airport you would either take 2 trains and a cab, or go to the more expensive airport and take 1 train and a cab (rental cars are an option but would be more expensive). The first certified birth certificate in this state is $50 (though that is just what I heard, it could be less but I know you have to pay for it). Would have no issues with insurance.

So what would you choose? Hospital B is only an option if I have a pregnancy like DS which is still really in question but I have joked that this will be my easiest pregnancy to date with a well baby so I wouldn't be surprised! :laugh:

babyrosie 11-27-2012 07:50 AM

Re: How did you decide where to give birth?

Well it sounds like you are most comfortable with hospital A and all the staff you are already familiar with. Since you know you are having a scheduled c section, I wouldn't be worried about the hour drive either. If your insurance covers it, I would go with hospital A.

ingrid5699 11-27-2012 08:22 AM

Can I just say how happy it makes me to have you post here? ((((Hugs))))

Hospital A would be what I would go for. IIRC all your babies so far have required NICU after birth and a level 3 one would have my vote over the level 2 one. Apart from all the other stuff. And like someone else said with a c/s that will most likely be scheduled the 30 minutes further away is a non issue.

I have never had a baby who required NICU after birth but am still opting for a hospital with a level 3 NICU. I find nothing more traumatic than having to have your baby in a different hospital right after birth.

canadianbakers 11-27-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ingrid5699 (Post 15975352)
Can I just say how happy it makes me to have you post here? ((((Hugs))))

Hospital A would be what I would go for. IIRC all your babies so far have required NICU after birth and a level 3 one would have my vote over the level 2 one. Apart from all the other stuff. And like someone else said with a c/s that will most likely be scheduled the 30 minutes further away is a non issue.

I have never had a baby who required NICU after birth but am still opting for a hospital with a level 3 NICU. I find nothing more traumatic than having to have your baby in a different hospital right after birth.

:yeahthat: to it all.

I'm :yay: to see you posting this!!! Congrats!!! and :pray: for a sticky bean!

dagmomma 11-27-2012 09:38 AM

Come on bean stick!!!!!!

You have to go with what you feel is the best option. I have moved with all of my pregnancies--hopefully if we move this time we will stay in the state and I will use the same Dr. But I did a ton of research and ultimately you have to go with your gut feeling.

3 ladybugs 11-27-2012 10:16 AM

Thanks everyone! I am leaning to hospital A but the idea of giving birth up here in a new hospital (we have 2 that were built in the last 1+ years) is attractive. However my track record (2 births, 4 children) is all go to the NICU. So maybe knowing the neonatologist and asking things like "how is (new baby) like Emily, or Max?" would be helpful. Emily may have been born 6 years ago, but I am sure they all still remember her. Besides I promised one of the neonatologists a "well baby". I would love for her to see us with one. Last time she told me to just have a girl. :) DS problem was he was a boy and didn't want to be born when he was. A girl wouldn't have had his issues under the same circumstances.