Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Need some reminders (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1467374)

happysmileylady 11-27-2012 09:41 PM

Need some reminders

I am on my 3rd little one in the last 4 years, and nursed all 3, but apparently need some reminders still.

First, remind me how often they are supposed to poo at 6ish weeks? In the last week or so he went from going multiple times a day, to once a day, to lately it's been every other day. And that's normal, right?

Second, continuing the poo questions...it's gone from mustard yellow and seedy to barely seed at all and more of a brown yellow. That's normal too right? I think so, I remember both my little girls having quite a bit of color variation.

And finally, the problem...

Lately, he's been really fussy at the breast. He will latch on, nurse enough to get a let down going, go a bit longer, then pop off and start rooting around like he can't find the nipple. Then start to get more frantic and frustrated, quickly working himself up to a full blown p!$$@% off cry. At that point, I am squirting milk directly into his mouth trying to show him that yes it's still there, and yes there's plenty coming out, but nothing helps. I clearly remember the other two doing the same thing at around the same time, but I can't for the life of me remember what I did to solve or get past the problem. Anyone able to remind me why this happens and how to fix it?

Nerissa 11-28-2012 06:13 AM

Re: Need some reminders

Doesn't the third just throw you. Mine and thrown me off too. :)

The pooping is normal. DD went from multiple times a day to once a day some times every other day by between 6 and 8 weeks. Now she is pretty consistant to once a day.

Color is totally normal. DD ranges from orange, yellow, green, occasionally brown.

As to fussy at the breast-- DD does this on occasion. Usually when my let down is too fast. Sometimes I will switch breasts to the left side which has a slower let down. If I need her to eat from the right side and she is fussing then I will express some off first and then feed her. If is hasn't bee all that long since she ate (an hour or less) and she acts like that at the breast then she really just wants to suck but is mad because she is getting milk and then I give her a pacifier and she is happy.

abunchoflemons 11-28-2012 07:04 AM

Poop is norm. Yes express a bit before then try nursing baby

tibeca 11-28-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerissa (Post 15979416)
As to fussy at the breast-- DD does this on occasion. Usually when my let down is too fast. Sometimes I will switch breasts to the left side which has a slower let down. If I need her to eat from the right side and she is fussing then I will express some off first and then feed her. If is hasn't bee all that long since she ate (an hour or less) and she acts like that at the breast then she really just wants to suck but is mad because she is getting milk and then I give her a pacifier and she is happy.

This is my kids exactly, except 1 wouldn't take a paci! She would suck on a finger though. I make so much milk I never really get empty, so comfort nursing at the breast isn't an option until they are MUCH older (over 1year)