Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Curious, how do you know when enough is enough? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1467421)

Belbaby3728 11-28-2012 08:13 AM

Curious, how do you know when enough is enough?

For a BLW baby? Dd is 11 months, started blw at 6 months. She really got hang of it around 8 months. Eats large variety and trys new foods a few times a week depending on what we are eating ourselves. She loves to eat and I always wonder if I am letting her have enough. Several foods I only give her a few pieces at a time (small bite size pieces) because if she likes them she stuffs them into mouth one after another... fruits for instance. Do you just let them go till they stop/lose interest? As I don't think she would as long as there is something she likes available! I am not overly worried but sometimes wonder if I should let her have more. She has only once puked after eating when I gave her a bit too much fruit at once/too fast and she stuffed it all in. She seems happy regardless :)

qsefthuko 11-28-2012 08:19 AM

Re: Curious, how do you know when enough is enough?

I fed until my kids turned away from the food. For my oldest that meant a pretty good sized meal. For my middle child that usually meant 2-4 bites. For my youngest it can mean anywhere from 1 bite to a good sized plate depending on his mood. None of them had or have weight issues.

With my big eater I did limit how much was on the plate at a time to prevent the food stuffing.

Teexie 11-29-2012 01:18 PM

It just depends on what we're eating. DD would eat a pound of cheese if I let her, so obviously we limit that :giggle: But if it's one of her healthy favorites, I let her eat as much as she wants and give her more if she wants it.

c&w's mama 11-30-2012 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belbaby3728 (Post 15979550)
For a BLW baby? Dd is 11 months, started blw at 6 months. She really got hang of it around 8 months. Eats large variety and trys new foods a few times a week depending on what we are eating ourselves. She loves to eat and I always wonder if I am letting her have enough. Several foods I only give her a few pieces at a time (small bite size pieces) because if she likes them she stuffs them into mouth one after another... fruits for instance. Do you just let them go till they stop/lose interest? As I don't think she would as long as there is something she likes available! I am not overly worried but sometimes wonder if I should let her have more. She has only once puked after eating when I gave her a bit too much fruit at once/too fast and she stuffed it all in. She seems happy regardless :)

I do feed until interest is lost. I figure he's learning himself how much to eat so he can self regulate-- amount, speed, and size. His gag reflex will kick in when necessary, but that's really rare. Haven't seen the puking thing...

Quote:

Originally Posted by qsefthuko (Post 15979563)
I fed until my kids turned away from the food. For my oldest that meant a pretty good sized meal. For my middle child that usually meant 2-4 bites. For my youngest it can mean anywhere from 1 bite to a good sized plate depending on his mood. None of them had or have weight issues.

With my big eater I did limit how much was on the plate at a time to prevent the food stuffing.

I've got a big eater and he's not a stuffer so I put out what I think is reasonable and usually he's asking for more at the end-- so I give him more. Start small and go bigger- I think that will depend on the kid. When he was little, I did limit the amount in front of him but made sure there was a small variety.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teexie (Post 15985573)
It just depends on what we're eating. DD would eat a pound of cheese if I let her, so obviously we limit that :giggle: But if it's one of her healthy favorites, I let her eat as much as she wants and give her more if she wants it.

lol. this. except I limit it to a lb of anything ;) even broccoli- because he'd eat the whole family's portions- and I want mine. DD would be pretty heated, too ;)

Zanocz 12-16-2012 12:55 PM

When they are little I always feed until they are done..turning away, not opening their mouth, or doing the tongue thrust. Now with my 2 year old I have to limit depending on what he is eating! He would eat a whole bag of dried apples and goldfish if I would let him. Both of my kids are tiny, but have big appetites!

Sabby7007 12-18-2012 07:47 PM

I often wonder if my son has a limit...I don't think he has ever reached it and I wonder if anyone else has that issue...I think he would keep eating if I kept feeding him...

lovebear 12-21-2012 02:23 PM

My daughter is a picky eater so I can only tell enough when she doesn't want to eat any more food on her plate. If she likes the food, she would eat it non-stop until she feels full.