Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Any success stories bfing with 2nd &3rd grade inversion? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1467436)

s@hmommy 11-28-2012 08:06 AM

Any success stories bfing with 2nd &3rd grade inversion?

I have one of each (lucky me) and with my last two had no success. I would really love to bf this next lo. I have tried nearly every idea and gadget to try to correct. One did improve to a 2 instead of 3 according to my ob. With my last 2 I had bleeding nipples and they were not able to get a good latch. Has anyone successfully btdt? HOW?!

oldmomma 11-30-2012 01:18 PM

Re: Any success stories bfing with 2nd &3rd grade inversion?

I didn't know they graded that kind of thing? I used a nipple shield and it drew my nipples out permanently after I BF DD1. I still used it at first with DD2 because my breasts were so large and her mouth so small.

Don't believe the hype about the nipple shield. If it is the only way that you can successfully breastfeed then do it. You can eventually try to wean off of it. DD1 we weaned at 4-6 months and DD2 1-2 months. I breastfeed DD1 12 months successfully and never supplemented and DD2 am still breastfeeding but have supplement with goat and almond milk because I went back to work.

s@hmommy 11-30-2012 02:31 PM

They do according to my ob. One is so deeply inverted it will barely come out a little even with the use of a pump. My girls are small, so that's not an issue. There just isn't enough tissue protruding for them to get a good latch. I am looking into EP because I do produce a ridiculous amount of milk. DS never really bf'd and just turned 2 and I am still lactating! I would love to only buy a pump and not formula!

HeatherlovesCDs 11-30-2012 03:18 PM

I don't have inverted nipples. But, I did have a flat nipple on the left. It was hard for the babies to latch on that side and it hurt me because of it. I've had 6 kids, 2 sets of twins. I don't know when it happened, but I noticed a few weeks ago with this last baby, who is now 7wks old, my nipple isn't flat anymore. :yay: I suspect it changed sometime with my last set of twins, who I nursed for 16 months. It is not flat at all anymore. In fact, it's more comfortable than the other side now. LOL!

I think trying the EP'ing is a great idea! I would hope that maybe you could nurse after a while, but reality is baby may never latch if he/she doesn't early on just because they won't learn how. But, at least they would be getting BM. I've EP'd before and it is hard work and a very big commitment. But, for me, it was well worth it. And, I would think it would help that nipple. Even possibly so much that if you have more kids, you could nurse them. I'd definitely try the EP'ing if you can.

Good luck!