Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Dairy Elimination (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1467462)

Meganeliz9 11-28-2012 10:27 AM

Dairy Elimination

I have internet diagnosed my baby as having a milk protien intolerance! Kidding--but really, he's got a constellation of symptoms that are nagging and slightly bothersome that does seem to suggest that my eliminating dairy may help.

So, because I'll do anything for him, I'm going to cut out dairy and see if that helps. He is always congested and for a while I thought it was a cold but it's been going on for weeks. He has eczema. He is frequently constipated and uncomfortable and once he does poop it's putrid. I rarely get that seedy mustard poop anymore. He sleeps ok at night but is really restless and kicks his legs/bangs them on the mattress and he is a terrible napper. He also gets a red, flushed looking face after I feed him and lately it's been spreading to his tummy.

Anyone else get rid of dairy? Why? Did it help?

l_Kimmie_l 11-28-2012 10:45 AM

Re: Dairy Elimination

My now 3 yr old was the same as your LO and I cut out dairy and he was much better. He no longer had bad poops, bad excema, or was gassy and in pain. He turned out to have more allergies that would cause the excema to come back, but cutting out dairy was the biggest benefit for him. I did not eat a single food with caesin or whey in it, including magerine or butter. I was very careful and it was hard, but more than worth it.

MandaMommy2 11-28-2012 09:45 PM

I cut out dairy I think around two weeks pp because LO was vomiting, had rashes and was wheezy. Now I'm trying to cut out soy which I'm finding harder. Even If I eat any manufactured bread or cold cuts my baby girl pukes has gross poops and is generally unhappy. There's just too much chance of cross contamination so I stay clear now especially after thanksgiving. I made my own dairy free stuffing and the baby got really sick. That or maybe my turkey had whey it and I didn't know. Some of the turkeys I saw had whey in them but the one I bought had natural flavoring whatever that is. I've learned that there's milk in things there it doesn't belong and you can't eat anything without reading all ingredients first. Also just because its lactose free doesn't mean it's dairy free and products don't always list milk and soy in bold print under allergies. My family doesn't understand. My mother in law told me just to buy premade pie crusts for thanksgiving when I told here I couldn't have butter. What does she thinks in the pillsburry lol. I was actually thinking it would be nice if we had some sort of elimination diet thread that was permanent here in the breast feeding support forum but I didn't know how to go about doing it. Oh also my favorite dairy free recipe resource is godairyfree.org and Wegmans has some good ideas to but you have to double check Wegmans because they're listed as lactose free.

kht2006 11-28-2012 10:56 PM

we're dairy free for silent reflux and it has made a huge difference. I've been using a lot of paleo recipes because they are dairy, grain and soy free. I think I'm going to have to give up gluten too. That will be so much harder than the dairy.

kdzb243 11-29-2012 12:20 PM

We're gluten and dairy free for stomach problems and eczema. My youngest was gassy, had a lot of reflux and spit up as a baby. I really wonder now if I had eliminated dairy then if she would have felt a lot better. Even now if I have anything with dairy in it, she gets an upset stomach. :( Elimination diets are a pain, but at least you will have an answer one way or another. Good luck mama!

MDever 11-29-2012 12:34 PM

DD1 had issues with dairy in my milk and so did DS1. Eliminating is crucial. Just make sure that you know all of the other words on labels used to describe milk. Also, it can take longer than you might think to eliminate all of the dairy from your body and his.

Meganeliz9 11-29-2012 03:31 PM

Thanks everyone! And I love that website--godairyfree.org.

MandaMommy2 11-29-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meganeliz9
Thanks everyone! And I love that website--godairyfree.org.

I made the dairy free pumpkin pie from godairyfree.org and it was amazing. I can't wait to see what they have for Christmas recipes.

DottieHarley 11-29-2012 07:20 PM

DD was super, super spitty but not diagnosed as reflux - but once i eliminated dairy it improved markedly. I cut everything, and it was hard :-(. But i gave my self a free pass to eat as much (dark, df) chocolate as i wanted! There us a co that makes stuff out of soy and coconut - So Delicious or something like that? For a while i cut out soy as well ( and gluten, nuts, citrus, egg whites, and some other stuff) so i started with the coconut based yogurt and ice cream which is delicious! It has the texture of real ice cream and just the slighest hint of coconut taste which i like anyway. Totally saved my sanity lol!

desibob 11-29-2012 08:25 PM

My son also has silent reflux. We've been giving him some medication his pediatrician prescribed. I stopped consuming dairy for about three weeks to see if it helped, but I didn't see a difference in that time. I then decided to try dairy again (a splash of milk in my tea), and boy it messed him up big time. He was crying and fussy all the next three days. I felt so bad! Now it's back to no dairy again. I miss eating yogurt and drinking milk everyday, but what is a mom to do. He's doing a bit better with his medication, but he's still having gas issues. :(

Does anyone know if goat milk causes problems too? I bought some and put a teeny tiny amount in my tea, but then got scared and only had a sip. Lol. I just don't want to upset his tummy again.