Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southeast (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   New to Nashville, TN (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1467581)

JannieAnnie 11-28-2012 02:06 PM

New to Nashville, TN

Hi! My family just moved to the Nashville area a couple weeks ago. I have no friends or relatives in the area and I need help finding care providers. I'm a somewhat crunchy mama and I need to find:
family physician
pediatrician
OB-GYN
Homebirth Midwives
Chiropractor

Any referrals would be greatly appreciated! Send here or privately.
Thanks!

JA

debcita429 11-28-2012 03:15 PM

Re: New to Nashville, TN

I live in Clarksville, but one of my friends uses a midwife who alternates between Clarksville and Nashville: Bobbi Stidham. Perhaps she will have recommendations on the other fronts :).

JannieAnnie 11-29-2012 08:29 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to follow up on that. :) JA

debcita429 11-30-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JannieAnnie (Post 15987610)
Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to follow up on that. :) JA

YVW. Welcome to Tennessee! Hope it helps :).

Steph Ed 11-30-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JannieAnnie (Post 15981430)
Hi! My family just moved to the Nashville area a couple weeks ago. I have no friends or relatives in the area and I need help finding care providers. I'm a somewhat crunchy mama and I need to find:
family physician
pediatrician
OB-GYN
Homebirth Midwives
Chiropractor

Thanks!

JA

I don't know how far she will travel, but Ina May Gaskin, a very respected, award winning midwife is 1 hr 15 minutes away from Nashville in Summertown, TN. Also, there is a midwifery school where she lives (which happens to be a commune named The Farm) so I'm sure there are plenty of graduates around there to choose from. I am from a small town about 15 minutes away from The Farm (I live right outside of Memphis now), and if I lived as close as you do there would be NO DOUBT in my mind I would try to use her as a Midwife.

I thought your proximity to her was worth mentioning. I'm sure A TON of Mamas here on DS would jump at the chance to have her deliver their Baby.

rooster2012 12-01-2012 12:27 PM

Welcome to Nashville. There are lots of goods pediatricians. We go to a doc in the Heritage group in Green Hills. A lot of people also recommend the Old Harding group and Green Hills pediatrics. As far as Homebirth midwives, I've heard rave reviews about Susie Meeks. OB wise, I went to Sharon Norman at Baptist prior to pregnancy. I used the Vanderbilt Midwives for my birth, although I ended up with a CS. I plan to use them again for a VBAC attempt with my next pregnancy. Message me if you have any other questions.

EmmyFreeman27 12-02-2012 11:41 AM

I live about 2 hrs from Nashville, and am using a WONDERFUL MW now, Sheryl Shafer. She travels far and wide from what I can tell. I also agree with the PP about looking into The Farm in Summerville- Wow! Last time I looked, their CS rate was TWO percent. :)

Steph Ed 12-03-2012 09:13 AM

Here is the link to the Farm's midwifery info:

http://www.thefarm.org/midwives/index.html

WeeEssentials 12-08-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JannieAnnie (Post 15981430)
family physician
pediatrician
OB-GYN
Homebirth Midwives
Chiropractor

Thanks!

JA

Where are you in Nashville? I'm just east of it near Mt Juliet. I used the Vanderbilt Midwives - I think they are in Green Hills - when I had my third daughter. I'd go there again, but we barely made it to Vandy with her - I'm afraid I wouldn't make it with #4, lol. I couldn't find an actual website (thought they did have one) but here's one from UCHS: http://www.uchshealth.org/clinics/ I went to the Franklin Rd Clinic and saw Allison. I'd definitely recommend her!

If you are closer to Lebanon, I've been going to the Women's Health Center at UMC and seeing midwife Heather Potts. Another great place, and I rarely have to wait past my appt time even though the waiting room is usually very busy. Last week, I was 15 minutes early and she took me in 5 minutes after I got there. I've never had a doctor see me early before!

If you are near Mt Juliet, I'd also recommend Dr. Asha Joseph at Centennial Pediatrics in Mt Juliet. She is wonderful - she doesn't talk down to you or take your concerns lightly. She's one of the only pediatricians I've had that will fully explain something, like what that ominous rash really is, or why it couldn't be anything but such and such.

Good luck! We moved here because my husband is a musician, but nearest family is about 500 miles away. It can be tough!

RM09Mama 12-10-2012 12:52 PM

Hi there! We moved to the Nashville area in March. I'm done having babies but I've gotten involved with the birth community here since I'm a trained birth doula and now pursuing postpartum doula work. Are you on FB? If so, I can connect you with some groups, including the Nashville Birth Network. NBN also has a website and Google group. You can PM me on here for more info. Please let me know how I can help!