Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Medela Tubing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1467618)

Rossberrie 11-28-2012 04:07 PM

Medela Tubing

I have milk back flow cause sometimes I am not paying attention that my milk is overflowing a bottle. Now the tubes are turning black. Is there a way to clean them or do I have to buy new ones?

crunchymom2b 11-28-2012 07:46 PM

Re: Medela Tubing

That black is mold. Ditch those tubes ASAP. If you call Medela they might send you new ones for free otherwise you can order them online. If you don't have an extra pair and have to continue pumping I'd either 1) call a local hospital and see if they sell tubing or 2) pump and dump until you can get new tubing.

Anytime you have milk get into the tubing you have to clean them. I had that problem, I noticed it happened if I leaned too far forward while pumping. I ran water through the tubes, then some Palmolive then rinsed with hot water. After that I sterilized with the Medela Quick Clean Bags. They also say you can run rubbing alcohol through the tubes to get them to dry faster.

After every pumping session, or when you notice condensation in the tubes, run thepump for at least 10 minutes to dry them out. That will help prevent mold as well.

Good luck mama!

leyash 11-28-2012 07:48 PM

Get new tubes. You can buy a small package of tubing for $8 on Amazon.

Nerissa 11-29-2012 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchymom2b (Post 15982832)
That black is mold. Ditch those tubes ASAP. If you call Medela they might send you new ones for free otherwise you can order them online. If you don't have an extra pair and have to continue pumping I'd either 1) call a local hospital and see if they sell tubing or 2) pump and dump until you can get new tubing.

Anytime you have milk get into the tubing you have to clean them. I had that problem, I noticed it happened if I leaned too far forward while pumping. I ran water through the tubes, then some Palmolive then rinsed with hot water. After that I sterilized with the Medela Quick Clean Bags. They also say you can run rubbing alcohol through the tubes to get them to dry faster.

After every pumping session, or when you notice condensation in the tubes, run thepump for at least 10 minutes to dry them out. That will help prevent mold as well.

Good luck mama!

Exactly this. I also run the pump to make sure the tubing is dry after each session. The conector pieces are not always dry between sessions.

robertsfam 01-11-2013 09:53 PM

I was wondering the same thing! good advice!!! Thank you!!!