Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How long before breastfeeding becomes "weird" to you? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1467628)

leyash 11-28-2012 04:41 PM

How long before breastfeeding becomes "weird" to you?

Like, what age?

I ask because friends of mine (well, more like acquaintances) think that me wanting to nurse for a year is weird. Some of them even said, "Why not just give the baby breastmilk in a bottle after 6 months? It's the same thing." To me, it's just not the same thing. The MOST important thing is the baby getting the breastmilk, yes. But another important thing that I am looking forward to is the bonding time.

So, how old do you think is "too old" to actually breastfeed?

Anna0623 11-28-2012 04:46 PM

Re: How long before breastfeeding becomes "weird" to you?

I plan on nursing our third lo to at least a year to 18 months. I think it would be weird to me to nurse for more than that, althought I never nursed dd or ds since I had to return back to work 5 weeks after having them.

ajbailey89 11-28-2012 04:47 PM

I'll let you know if I get to that age ;)

leyash 11-28-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna0623 (Post 15982074)
I plan on nursing our third lo to at least a year to 18 months. I think it would be weird to me to nurse for more than that, althought I never nursed dd or ds since I had to return back to work 5 weeks after having them.

I nursed for about 6 weeks with my first, 3 months with my second, and 4ish months with my third. I was not really educated on nursing, so my milk supply went away quickly. I was supplementing with formula when they were just a few weeks old. :( This time, I have a TON more knowledge and resources, and I really feel positive about nursing for a year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajbailey89 (Post 15982079)
I'll let you know if I get to that age ;)

Ha. How long have you nursed?

HeatherlovesCDs 11-28-2012 05:01 PM

I don't have an opinion for anyone other than me. :) Personally, I have always wanted to nurse till 2 years. Due to issues, that has never happened with any of my previous 5. 16 months was the longest, which wasn't weird at all. I am really hoping to make it to 2 years with this baby. I think that is my limit. However, I'm sure the day they turn 2 it won't suddenly become weird to me since I would have been nursing them them since birth. I just think that is when it will be time to start weaning if I haven't already.

It would be a little odd to me to nurse my now 2.5 year olds, but that is only because they stopped nursing at 16 months, over a year ago. If I'd been doing it the whole time, I'm sure it would seem totally normal.

I don't really know that I think of it as weird at any young age. I mean, if they are still nursing at 8, I find that weird. But, any toddler or young preschooler seems fine to me.

knodceo 11-28-2012 05:03 PM

Great questions. I nursed my first until 22 months.i only stopped because I was loosing sleep. I am now 19 months in and this is my last...I plan to go until 22 month or 2.

snugglesnsunshine 11-28-2012 05:08 PM

I've nursed all mine past a year and didn't have any problems. There were probably a handful of people who gave me looks but I have found that if you nurse in public or say, at friends' house or something, just do it with confidence like you KNOW you are doing what is best for you and your baby. People usually pick up on that and usually won't say anything. If they do, you can always say your doctor/midwife, advised you to nurse for __ years (2 is what most are saying now).
Nursing only got weird for me when my son who was 22 months, wouldn't quit fidgeting with my mouth, my face, my teeth, the other boob, lol. Other than that, smooth sailing.
I nursed 2 past 2 years and 3 others between 17 and 22 months (weaned due to pregnancies interfering with milk supply).
Do what feels right for you!

Leiiki 11-28-2012 05:18 PM

The only reason I stopped was because DD stopped asking (around 27 months). I wanted to stop earlier - maybe around 2 - because her latch got really bad as she got older and nursing felt more annoying than special. I promised myself that I would let her decide when to stop, though, so we kept at it till she was done on her own.

Her cousin nursed past 3, and I don't consider that weird.

ETA - as far as people's reactions, DD only nursed at night and in the morning by the end, so it wasn't in public anyway. I never felt uncomfortable NIP well past a year, though.

tricia17lee 11-28-2012 05:29 PM

Well, my daughter just recently weaned at 33 months old.
If you had asked me years ago I don't think I would EVER have thought I would be breastfeeding an almost 3 year old. I was educated about breastfeeding because of my job and knew I would do it. When I was pregnant with my daughter I decided that I would be willing to try to nurse for 2 years as recommended by the World Health Organization after reading so much about the nutritional and immune benefits of nursing a toddler.

Then I had my baby, and breastfeeding just felt right. After working out the early kinks with latching and oversupply issues I couldn't imagine how people parented withOUT breastfeeding :) Maybe I'm just lazy, but it just seemed so much easier to me. My baby grew into an older baby, and then she turned one and still seemed like my baby...and even as a toddler she was still my little baby and it didn't feel weird. And I guess time just goes by and while I couldn't imagine nursing someone else's toddler - my toddler was still my baby. And nursing was so important to us. She has been SO healthy and happy. I had an amazing way to reset a grumpy day or get an overtired and wound up toddler to relax. Now I cannot imagine parenting a toddler without breastfeeding.

DD weaned with a bit of encouragement as I'm pregnant and terribly sick and my breasts and nipples are SO sore. I absolutely plan to nurse my next baby as long as he or she desires and it is working for us. They are so little for such a short time, and I wouldn't trade all those nursing cuddles for the world. Even if that makes me the 'weird' mom. ;)

Oh, and I will add, that I work outside the home so it was a really big commitment to pump for the 15 months that I did, but it helped me with my transition back to work and gave me something I could do for her during the day (I REALLY wanted to stay home but financially could not). The nursing when we were together was extra special to me after being apart all day.

AleahDeann 11-28-2012 05:29 PM

I have never nursed passed 10 months, because I get pregnant and my milk dries up. I always plan to nurse at least till 1 year and then stop around the time they start talking in sentences. I look at my 2 yr old and think it would be weird nursing him because he is talking so much. Then I look at my 3 yr old and think there is no way I would be nursing him still. So for me I think 1.5-2yrs would be max.