Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Sleeping through the night? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1467690)

cmboyd_1999 11-28-2012 08:32 PM

Sleeping through the night?

I'm not sure if this is in the right place or not but my dd was formula fed and slept through the night early... Ds is breastfed and at 19 mths has only slept through the night a handful of times... Is this normal? I'm ready to start getting more sleep!! :banghead:

momof3boys1girl 11-28-2012 08:48 PM

Re: Sleeping through the night?

yeah it normal :(

keen1981 11-28-2012 09:02 PM

You can consider night weaning if you desire.

firemommaof1 11-28-2012 09:20 PM

Oh yes, hello fellow sleep deprived mama! I've got a 18 month old who still wakes up every 3ish hours to nurse. sigh. I just know it's a phase in life and will not last forever... but sometimes I long for sleep lol ((hugs)) ... oh yes, it's normal ;)

sh0rtchica 11-28-2012 10:08 PM

My 18 month old is going through a spat where she wakes up roughly every hour to nurse :(. I can't believe I'm considering night weaning, but it's starting to get to me. Totally normal for the most part - my DS was the same way and at 3.5 still doesn't STTN.

c&w's mama 11-28-2012 11:04 PM

my DD wouldn't sleep at night at all until 8 weeks... then magically she would go longer and longer and she was sleeping 6 hour stretches within 3 months consistently. (in her own room) She's not much of a napper- always fought the nap. (I should add that by 6 months, she was a 10 hour sleeper at night-- it really meant something if she woke during the night)

DS, on the other hand, didn't even *think* of sleeping more than 3 hours ever without feeding until maybe 14 months. (in our room) Dude can't go without his scheduled nap.

I've never used formula. And all the babies I know/have known have been their own little people with their sleeping and eating patterns.

I think your story sounds normal. and tiring :) hang in there-- I never figured out how to night wean, but wanted to.

qsefthuko 11-28-2012 11:13 PM

Totally normal. Up to a week ago though I would have been envious of you. My little stinker was staying up all night. Then he liked to sleep while I was running errands, cooking dinner, or was in some other way occupied and unable to sleep with him.

emsody22 11-29-2012 04:58 AM

Every baby is different, but that is normal. Tiring, but normal. I think by that age though that they don't need to eat at night like that, so you could try to night wean...

Nerissa 11-29-2012 07:23 AM

I agree with the others that every baby is different.

My first two babies (all breastfed) started sleeping longer stretches at about 3 montns. Going 5 or 6 hours between waking. By 7 or 8 months were sleeping from 8:30pm till 5:30am on a regular basis. I do not co-sleep but did nothing to encourage them to sleep longer. I will not wake a sleeping baby at night to eat. I did/do however wake at 5:30 to feed (if they hadn't woken up yet) before going to work.

HeatherlovesCDs 11-29-2012 07:40 AM

Every baby is different and has nothing to do with FF'ing v. BF'ing.

I have 6 kids. All 5 of my olders was sleeping through by 12wks at the latest and 4 of them were preemies (35 and 36wks, 2 sets of twins). And, I consider sleeping through to be 8 hrs even though some consider it only 6. Now, My 7wk old is giving me 6 hr stretches some nights. All of my 6 have been BF'd. My preemies (all twins) got a very small amount of formula early on due to latch issues causing low supply with my first set and the other set because of the NICU. But, as I said, it was very little, only a few bottles and "fortified" BM in the NICU, and none after 11 days for the second set and none after 6wks for the first set.

So, IME, sleeping through the night or not sleeping through doesn't have anything to do with formula or breast. :)